Robinson makes a point


JOE Robinson netted in injury time to give Blues a deserved share of the points, on Saturday.

Robinson scored in the 92nd minute as Stortford wrapped up what is likely to be their only Southern League Premier Division season, and saw them take 17 points from the final eight home games to finish in 18th position.

Kevin Watson’s selected side saw Marcus Crowther, another 16 year-old, in the starting eleven for the first time and part of a three man back-line. Marvel Ekpiteta was back after suspension whilst Robinson was on the bench at the start coming on with Jack Thomas as part of a double substitution ten minutes into the second half.

Youngster Freddie Oakman was still out of action having suffered osteomyelitis, a bone infection, since after the Farnborough match earlier in the month.jc6

Early in the first half exchanges had been equal with Town’s Mike Taylor being denied twice by saves from Calum Kitscha in the fifth minute after breaking clear on the left flank whilst skipper Mark Hughes drove over the bar following a Darren Foxley lay-back in the 13th minute.

jc4Jamie Cureton drew a fine save out of keeper Louis Connor in the 19th minute after good work by Alfie Mason and a cross from George Casey. The veteran shot wide when through on goal from a Casey pass shortly afterwards.

The opening goal arrived for the visitors in the 26th minute after Taylor had struck the bar and with ball not cleared Will Grocott delivered it to the far post where Ben Stephens netted at the second attempt.

From that point until the break Town had the edge although Foxley was narrowly wide with a speculative effort from 20 yards four minutes prior to the interval.

The action continued in the same fashion after the break with Kitscha saving twice from Edwin Akenkorah whilst Liam Francis headed against the bar following a corner.

Thomas headed a chance over the bar at the back post shortly after the hour mark after a Foxley free-kick on the left and the hosts began to threaten with Cureton and Robinson going close. Then in the last minute of normal time a shot from Robinson following a Casey cross was turned round the upright for a corner by Connor.jc7

Seconds later Cureton lobbed over the bar when well placed and it looked as though it was going to be one of those days and the Warwickshire side would take home all the points.

jc5However, they failed to properly clear a corner and when Hughes did well to return the ball into the box from the left it was flicked on by Casey and ran loose for Robinson to volley past Connor who was powerless to stop the shot.

STORTFORD: Calum Kitscha; George Casey; Tom Clifford; Mark Hughes; Marvel Ekpiteta; Max Brassington (Jack Thomas 55); Marcus Crowther (Joe Robinson 55); Jordan Wescott; Alfie Mason; Jamie Cureton; Darren Foxley. Unused substitutes: Chad Cruse, Jacob Bennett and Callum Lynskey.

STRATFORD TOWN: Louis Connor; Andy Gallinagh; James Fry; James Hancocks; Loyiso Recci; Liam Francis (Charlie Evans 84); Justin Marsden; Edwin Ahenkorah (Jazz Luckie 74); Mike Taylor; Will Grocott; Ben Stephens (Eli Bako 80). Unused substitute: George Dawson.

Referee: Matthew Morrison. Attendance: 307