Cureton off the mark for Blues – full report

Weymouth 1 Blues 1

jc2Jamie Cureton’s first goal for the Blues extended their unbeaten away run to four games as they returned from high-flying Weymouth with a point.

Damon Brooks gave the hosts the lead in the 59th minute when he netted after initially hitting a post.

Kevin Darren FoxleyWatson’s side had the ball in the net in the 71st minute only to see it disallowed but two minutes later Darren Foxley’s corner caused pandemonium in the box, allowing Cureton to convert from close range.

The new Blues’ striker went close to nicking all three points shortly after, but his side were forced to hang on in injury time after captain Mark Hughes was dismissed after picking up a pair of yellow cards in quick succession.

The Blues squad was down to the bare-bones with George Casey (ankle), Marvel Ekpiteta (hamstring), Tom Clifford (groin), and Dean Ager (knee) all missing due to injury and they were to lose Josh Simpson at half-time with a hamstring problem.

On the positive side Dipo Akinyemi returned having recovered from a rib injury. Alex Rogers partnered Joe Robinson in the centre of defence whilst Jordan Westcott dropped back to a defensive position on the right flank.

It was a cagey and quiet start by both sides although in the ninth minute the hosts’ Callum Buckley almost produced a replica of the Terras’ winning goal in the reverse fixture in August when he spotted Tyler McCarthy off his line and delivered a free-kick from inside his own half that went over the keeper but this time sailed just wide of an upright.

Steady defending by Stortford limited the home side but McCarthy had to be alert to grab a neat flick from Josh Wakefield on the goal-line after 15 minutes.

Two minutes later Jason Williams almost got between two defenders to fasten on to a Jamie Cureton pass.

Just before the half hour Charlie Davis had an effort cleared off the line by Alex Rogers and striker Ben Thomson was close with a shot past the far post in the 37th minute.

At the other end Terras debutant keeper Will Dennis cut out a Jordan Westcott cross after a threatening attack involving Simpson, Williams and Jack Thomas.

With Simpson taking no further part in the match after the break the midfielder was replaced by Callum Taylor.

Thomson missed a chance for the hosts in the 51st minute skying his shot over the bar fom close range.

Akinyemi struck a rising drive over the angle for Stortford but Weymouth went ahead in the 59th minute. Thomson’s cross from the right saw Brook’s header pushed against a post by McCarthy but Brooks reacted quickly to turn the rebound into the net.

The Blues fought back and when Jack Thomas saw his 20 yard saved by Dennis the loose ball was netted by Williams, however, the goal was over-ruled for offside. The Blues got their just desserts in the 73rd minute with an equaliser.

Darren Foxley’s corner caused confusion and after a couple of deflections the ball was in the back of the net. It appeared the last touch was from Cureton and he has been credited with the goal.

After the leveller Stortford had a good spell and Cureton was denied by a last ditch tackle by Buckley as the striker was about to pull the trigger in front of goal. Mark Hughes was close with a header whilst in the 85th minute Dennis tipped a Foxley free-kick over the bar.

The Terras, though, pressed Stortford in the closing minutes and McCarthy had to make an excellent save low down to stop a Brandon Goodship free-kick in the 88th minute.

Blues: T McCarthy, J Westcott, D Foxley, J Simpson (C Taylor 46), A Rogers, J Robinson, J Thomas, M Hughes, J Williams, J Cureton, D Akinyemi. Unused subs: A Mason, M Brassington, J Ryan.