Blues 3 Redditch United 0

to8THREE second half goals saw Blues make it three straight home wins with a comfortable victory against Redditch.

Kevin Watson’s side fully deserved their victory as they were virtually in full control over the midlands side after half-time following on a low-key first half in which there had been little between the two sides when both took time to settle.

The Stortford side had some changes compared to the last match at home to Frome Town with Dipo Akinyemi having finished his loan spell and Dean Ager not allowed by his parent club Colchester United to play in the match. Marvel Ekpiteta was back in action following his suspension while Alfie Mason played the whole ninety minutes up front alongside Jamie Cureton.to1

After a slow, even start with few openings the Reds then shaded near misses up to the break as Jed Davies twice went close and Adam Page shot straight at Calum Kitscha from a few yards out. Attacking the Airport end, Darren Foxley, receiving a pass from Jamie Cureton flighted a shot a foot over for the hosts but the experienced Stuart Fleetwood had an acute angled shot deflected away from danger by Kitscha in the 22nd minute.

Ashley Sto7ammons had a long range effort tipped away for a corner whilst five minutes from the break a Davies free-kick just missing Tom Fishwick’s forehead, struck the far upright.

Two minutes after the restart Darren Foxley drove his shot just past the far post following a George Casey free-kick on the right. Then Mason shot over from 12 yards in the 56th minute after good approach work by Tom Clifford and Cureton.

It was MARVEL EKPITETA who broke the deadlock on the hour as he fastened on to the loose ball at the back post and drilled home after Ethan Ross had been troubled by Foxley’s corner.to5

From that point Stortford were on top and six minutes later Fishwick headed narrowly past his own post when Casey crossed the ball from the right flank. JAMIE CURETON who doubled the lead in the 68th minute when he curled a shot under the bar from the edge of the box after Casey and Foxley were involved in the build up on the right. It was the striker’s sixth goal in nine matches since joining Stortford.

to9Skipper MARK HUGHES, with a powerful header, then made it three from another Foxley corner in the 77th minute.

The only yellow card in the match was shown six minutes from time when the Reds skipper James Mutton was cautioned after a foul on Cureton. A Tom Clifford free-kick wasn’t far off target for the Blues before the end whilst Kitscha kept a clean sheet with the aid of an excellent tip over from Sammons’ shot in the 87th minute.

Academy centre back Jamie Riley made his senior debut in added time when he replaced Marvel Ekpiteta.

to2STORTFORD: Calum Kitscha; George Casey; Tom Clifford; Mark Hughes (Freddie Oakman 89); Marvel Ekpiteta (Jamie Riley 90+3); Joe Robinson; Jordan Westcott; Jack Thomas; Alfie Mason; Jamie Cureton; Darren Foxley (Chad Cruse 83).

Unused substitutes: Marcus Crowther and Max Brassington.

REDDITCH UNITED: Ethan Ross; Joshua Ekewele; Nathan Fox; Danny Jackman; Tom Fishwick; James Mutton; Tristain Dunkley (Gowan Stares 68); Ashley Sammons; Stuart Fleetwood; Jed Davies (Adam Davie 68); Adam Page (Jordan McKenzie 83).

Unused substitutes: Louis Ezewele and Lewis Wright.

Referee: Mr Peter Venables

Attendance: 242