Worthing 3-1 Bishop’s Stortford Match Report

Worthing 3-1 Bishop’s Stortford Match Report 9/10/21


Bishop’s Stortford suffered a 3-1 defeat at Worthing on Saturday, with both teams coming off the back of a two week break since their previous fixture. The fourth-placed Rebels made it four consecutive wins, having only lost once at home all season, while the Blues failed to follow-up their impressive 7-0 win against Leatherhead last time out, and could only field three substitutes due to a number of injuries. Dayshonne Golding scored a brace, with both sides suffering own goals.


Mark Haines tried to slide the ball home from Jonny Giles’ free kick from a deep position at the back post, but his effort was off target and went behind for a goal kick. Archie Jones’ high press won him the ball in the Worthing box, he passed to Jake Cass but the striker was dispossessed before he could shoot. Sam Robbins was on hand to clear a dangerous cross from the left by Pat Webber after a fast passing move from the hosts. Ryan Charles laid the ball off to Ben Marlow, whose first-time shot was well off target, with Giles making a run into space and ready to receive the ball. Haines was unable to clear and instead found his own net with the energetic Marvin Armstrong taking the credit from the stadium announcer. Haines blocked a low cross from the right by Armstrong, before a poor touch in the edge of the box let Armstrong run in behind, but Jack Giddens was out quickly to make a smart save. Dayshonne Golding turned past Sam Robbins smartly on the left wing and curled his shot into the bottom right corner from a tight angle, before Golding’s low cross missed all his teammates in the middle and fell to Dean Cox, who struck the post from the edge of the box. Danny Barker’s shot from close range went high of the target after a knockdown from the middle of the box.


HT 2-0


Jesse Starkey dispossessed Anthony Church early in the second half and drove into the box, but failed to hit the target, before Golding ran onto a through ball from the halfway line and tucked his shot in at the near post for his second and Worthing’s third. A succession of corners threatened to increase the lead further for Worthing, but Archie Edwards managed to clear upfield for the Blues. Jones miscued his shot from Ryan Charles’ lay-off, and the midfielder won a corner with a subsequent effort when it was deflected behind. Substitute James Baker made an instant impact, running across the near post towards Johnville Renee’s right wing cross, but it was Will Seager who got the final touch into his own net. Golding could have had a well deserved hattrick, but he was denied by a smart low stop from Giddens, before Giles tried his luck from range but couldn’t find the target.


FT 3-1


The Blues return home on Tuesday against Haringey Borough, before hosting Margate on Saturday, both in the Pitching In Isthmian League Premier Division.



Worthing XI

1 Harrison Male

2 Joel Colbran (Yellow card 32’) (Sub Cocoracchio 60’)

3 Pat Webber (Sub Pattenden 49’)

4 Danny Barker

5 Aarran Racine ©

6 Will Seager (Own goal 66’)

7 Dean Cox (Sub Diallo 70’)

8 Marvin Armstrong

9 Dayshonne Golding (Goal 35’ 56’)

10 Ollie Pearce

11 Jesse Starkey


12 Luca Cocoracchio

14 Cam Tutt

16 Mo Diallo

17 Reece Myles-Meekums

19 Jasper Pattenden


Blues XI

1 Jack Giddens

3 Archie Edwards (Yellow card 79’)

4 Anthony Church

5 Sam Robbins (c)

7 Jonny Giles

8 Ben Marlow

9 Jake Cass (Yellow card 62’)

11 Johnville Renee

14 Archie Jones (Sub Baker 64’)

15 Ryan Charles

17 Mark Haines (Own goal 20’)


6 Jimmy Wallace

16 Charlie Allum

20 James Baker


Attendance 1244