Merstham 2-2 Bishop’s Stortford Match Report

Merstham 2-2 Bishop’s Stortford Match Report 30/11/21


Bishop’s Stortford were denied a fifth consecutive win but remain unbeaten in 12 games after a 2-2 draw at Merstham. After six home games on the bounce, the Blues travelled to the Moatside full of confidence, but after Jake Cass’ early goal, it was the hosts who took the initiative thanks to a brace from Korrey Henry. But Darren Foxley’s goal after the break secured a point, but the Blues were left to rue missed opportunities.


After missing out on Saturday, Cass’ return was just as he would have wished – a goal inside two minutes. Merstham failed to clear from a corner, and Ryan Charles chipped the ball to the six yard line where Cass nodded home into the bottom corner. But Henry soon grabbed an equaliser, stabbing home from close range from a free kick. A brilliant cross from Dylan Adjei-Hersey was headed just wide by Henry, and Cass dragged a shot wide from Johnville Renee’s pass. Henry’s second goal was similar to his first, when a left wing free kick was nodded back across goal and bundled home by the striker. Craig Mcgee nearly added a third but fired wide with a half-volley from Troy Williams’ cross. As the first half progressed, the hosts were able to keep hold of the ball better. But struggled to create further chances, with the Blues going closest with Mark Haines’ header from Jonny Giles’ free kick, but Toby Bull saved.


HT 2-1


The introduction of Chris Harris in the first half as a strike partner for Cass and Foxley just behind after the break changed the game, as the Blues dominated the second period. A smart reverse pass from Harris found Foxley in space, with Merstham captain James Richmond deflecting a low shot just wide. From a corner, Ryan Henshaw headed straight at Bull, and Giles saw his low shot blocked after Anthony Church’s through ball. But the pressure was building, and three consecutive corners forced the leveller, with Foxley converting in similar fashion to his goal on Saturday, from close range as the defence failed to clear. Despite dominating the play in the second half, the Blues were caught out on the counter attack with the pacey John Ufuah running in behind. He nearly made the perfect reply to conceding but blazed his shot wide from the left side of the box. Chace Jacquart conceded possession in midfield to Giles, but he failed to hit the target, and Ufuah’s long range effort was easy for Jack Giddens to save. The best chance to win it fell to Harris, when Foxley’s shot from the edge of the box fell kindly to him, he took one touch to set himself and half-volleyed at goal, but Reuben Collins somehow got in the way to block. Giles shot wide from a tight angle, Church headed over the bar from a Renee cross and Cass saw a late shot blocked on his weak foot, as the Blues failed to find a winner to see the points shared.


FT 2-2


The Blues return home to host Carshalton Athletic on Saturday 4 December, before visiting Folkestone Invicta on Tuesday 7 December.



Merstham XI

1 Toby Bull

2 Troy Williams

3 Jude Mason (Yellow card 45′)

4 Ayman Gharbaoui (Sub Makofo 71′)

5 James Richmond (c) (Yellow card 90+2′)

6 Reuben Collins

7 Dylan Adjei-Hersey

8 Craig McGee (Sub Greenwood 85′)

9 Korrey Henry (Goal 20′ 26′) (Yellow card 41′)

11 John Ufuah (Yellow card 41′) (Sub Haire 90′)

17 Chace Jacquart


10 Serge Makofo

12 Charlie Greenwood

15 Barry Hayles

16 Bertie Lloyd

20 Jack Haire


Blues XI

1 Jack Giddens

4 Anthony Church

5 Sam Robbins

6 Ryan Henshaw (c)

7 Jonny Giles

8 Ben Marlow (Sub Harris 31′)

9 Jake Cass (Goal 2′)

11 Johnville Renee

12 Jack Thomas

15 Ryan Charles (Yellow card 19′) (Sub Foxley 56′)

17 Mark Haines (Sub Cracknell 68′)


10 Chris Harris

14 Darren Foxley (Goal 67′)

16 Charlie Allum

19 Billy Cracknell

20 James Baker


Attendance 164