Lewes 2-1 Bishop’s Stortford Match Report

Lewes 2-1 Bishop’s Stortford Match Report 20/8/22

Bishop’s Stortford suffered a first defeat of the season at Lewes on Saturday in the Pitching In Isthmian League Premier Division. The Rooks – who were reduced to 10 men in the first half – won 2-1 at the Dripping Pan, moving them up to second in the table, only off the top on goal difference, while the Blues are in a group of six on six points, in seventh place after three games.

Rhys Murrell-Williamson cut the ball back to Ronan Silva on the edge of the box for the first chance of the match, but Anthony Church closed him down quickly to block the shot and Jay Porter’s cross was too heavy for Frankie Merrifield at the other end. Jack Giddens was on hand to make a great low save from Alfie Young’s shot, after a left wing free kick was knocked down to him. Silva struck over the bar, before Ollie Peters broke through on goal and was cynically hacked down by Will Salmon on the edge of the box. The referee didn’t hesitate in brandishing the red card, and Peters narrowly missed the resulting free kick. Marcel Elva-Fountaine mis-controlled a loose ball in the box, Terrell Egbri picked it up but missed the target. Razz Coleman-De-Graft’s long range effort was straight at Giddens who saved, before Silva produced a rocket from 25 yards which the keeper couldn’t reach as it nestled in the top right corner.

HT 1-0

Darren Foxley crossed from the left to Merrifield who volleyed first time, and Lewis Carey in the Lewes goal produced a great reaction save to keep him out. Jack Skinner’s strike was high and wide of the target, before the midfielder mis-kicked a high ball into Merrifield’s path, he ran in behind the Rooks defence and slotted past Carey from a tight angle to equalise. Just minutes later he had a chance to bag a brace and take the lead for the Blues, but his 15 yard effort was blocked from close range from Foxley’s pass. The Blues defence failed to clear on the edge of the box and Coleman-De-Graft struck first time through a crowd, and with Giddens unsighted, he rippled the back of the net. Peters volleyed over the crossbar and Merrifield’s long range effort was also too high. Substitute Jonny Giles made some space and hit the post with a low effort, and Merrifield was flagged offside from the rebound. Giles fired low from a short corner towards the near post, but Carey saved, and Giddens was equal to a shot from Deon Moore, diving to his left to parry a powerful shot. Into second half injury time, and despite having a player fewer, the Rooks were crowding the Blues’ players in defence. Foxley twisted and turned, trying to make space for the shot but he couldn’t find the target.

FT 2-1

The Blues host Cray Wanderers on Friday 26 August, before a trip to Hornchurch on Bank Holiday Monday 29 August.


Lewes XI

1 Lewis Carey

2 Marcel Elva-Fountaine (Yellow card 90+2′)

3 Thomas Carlse

4 Tom Champion (c)

7 Razz Coleman-De-Graft (Goal 67′)

8 Jack Skinner (Olukoga 65′)

11 Rhys Murrell-Williamson (Nelson 29′)

14 Deon Moore

15 Alfie Young

17 Ronan Silva (Goal 44′)

20 Will Salmon (Red card 27′)


5 Mitchell Nelson

6 Ayo Olukoga

10 Deshane Dalling

12 Kenny Yao

16 Henry Muggeridge

Blues XI

1 Jack Giddens

2 Jay Porter

4 Anthony Church (Yellow card 24′)

5 Sam Robbins

6 Ryan Henshaw (c)

8 Matt Johnson (Yellow card 64′) (Harris 79′)

10 Frankie Merrifield (Goal 62′)

11 Tosin Olufemi (Yellow card 83′)

14 Darren Foxley

16 Terrell Egbri (Giles 71′)

18 Ollie Peters


7 Jonny Giles

9 Chris Harris

12 Jack Thomas

17 Mark Haines

19 Harry Beadle

Attendance 741