Leamington 1-0 BSFC Match Report

Leamington 1-0 Bishop’s Stortford Match Report 19/11/22

Bishop’s Stortford were knocked out of the Isuzu FA Trophy in the Second Round after a 1-0 defeat at Leamington. It was only the fourth time in 20 matches in all competitions that the Blues have failed to score this season, with the Warwickshire team finding the net soon after half time to progress into the draw for the next round.

A low corner from the right was drilled to the edge of the box for captain Jack Edwards to strike first time, but Jack Thomas cleared the shot from the six yard line, and Jack Giddens spread himself out to smother a downwards header from Rackeem Reid and Matt Johnson followed up with a clearance. The Blues grew into the game though, with Frankie Merrifield’s cross narrowly going beyond Ollie Peters and Ryan Charles at the end of a spell of possession for the visitors. A miscued clearance fell kindly for Edwards to strike first time on the volley, but he fired wide, and Callum Hawkins came out of his goal quickly to catch a floated cross from Jay Porter towards Merrifield. Devon Kelly-Evans dribbled into the box on the left wing, but his chipped cross to the far post was too far beyond Dan Meredith to convert. Brandon Adams couldn’t make contact with a first time volley from Porter’s cross and the ball went behind for a goal kick.

HT 0-0

Early in the second half and a Brakes corner came in from the right, Jack Giddens punched it away from his near post, but Reid quickly turned and fired through a crowd, and despite getting a touch on it, Giddens couldn’t keep it out. Henshaw rose highest to clear with his head from Kelly-Evans’ free kick, and Hawkins parried Darren Foxley’s low drive from range, but gathered at the second attempt with Merrifield waiting to tap in. Simeon Maye fired over the bar in a promising position from the right side of the box, and substitute Donell Thomas made an instant impact with an instinctive strike on the volley from a ricocheted corner, but Hawkins made the save. Jonny Giles unleashed a powerful drive that dipped on Hawkins and the ball nearly slipped through his gloves, with Giles’ next effort going wide of the target. There was a vociferous appeal from Blues fans behind the goal and players in the Leamington area when Johnson’s goalbound header was blocked at close range by the arm of a defender, but referee Stuart Morland disagreed. Johnson’s long throw from the right was headed wide at the near post by Henshaw, and the Blues pushed for an equaliser. Edwards nearly doubled the lead though, when a mix up between HArry Beadle and Johnson led to him being through on goal, but he shot wide. Reid turned and volleyed in the box but wide of the goal, and in the seventh minute of second half injury time, Giddens made his way into the box for a Johnson long throw, it was flicked by a defender and almost creeped in at the far post, but the referee blew for full time before the corner could be taken.

FT 1-0


Leamington XI

1 Callum Hawkins

2 Dan Meredith

3 Louis Hall

4 Simeon Maye (Clarke 69’)

5 Theo Streete

6 Jack Lane

7 Rackeem Reid (Goal 49’)

8 Adam Walker

9 Dan Turner (Usher-Shipway 65’)

10 Jack Edwards (c) (Yellow card 71’)

11 Devon Kelly-Evans (English 89’)


12 Joe Clarke

23 Luke Slater

14 Ben Usher-Shipway

15 Junior English

16 James Mace

17 Connor Taylor

18 Tom Hewlett

Blues XI

1 Jack Giddens

2 Jay Porter

6 Ryan Henshaw (c)

8 Matt Johnson

10 Frankie Merrifield

11 Tosin Olufemi

12 Jack Thomas (D Thomas 63’)

15 Ryan Charles (Foxley 55’)

16 Brandon Adams (Giles 55’)

18 Ollie Peters

19 Harry Beadle (Yellow card 52’)


3 Josh Demetriou

7 Jonny Giles

9 Donell Thomas

14 Darren Foxley

Attendance 387