Harlow Town 0-4 Bishop’s Stortford Match Report

Harlow Town 0-4 Bishop’s Stortford Match Report 29/10/22

Bishop’s Stortford won the derby day bragging rights with a 0-4 victory at Harlow Town in the Isuzu FA Trophy First Round on Saturday. Having dumped out 2021 champions Hornchurch on penalties in the previous round, The Blues wouldn’t be taking their Southern League Division One Central hosts lightly, but two goals in each half saw Stortford into Monday’s Second Round draw, with Ollie Peters netting a hat-trick, and Frankie Merrifield adding a late fourth.

The Blues dominated the opening stages in terms of possession, but couldn’t fashion a shot on goal, with the hosts going close as Samson Maagbe flicked a header wide from a left wing corner. Merrifield thought he should have had a penalty when James Folkes made a clumsy challenge, but referee Chay Hathway dismissed the appeals and awarded a Bishop’s Stortford corner. It was from a Harlow Town corner that the Blues made the breakthrough, Jack Thomas’ clearance was picked up by Ryan Charles on the halfway line, he turned and slid the ball down the right wing to Darren Foxley, he picked out Peters in the middle, who took a touch and slotted home calmly. Terrell Egbri forced a low save from Jack Giddens as he cut in off the left wing and fired towards the bottom left corner. And Giddens was on hand to catch a high cross from the right by Dante McIntosh, and another soon after that was looping towards the goal. Jimmy Wallace fouled Merrifield 25 yards from goal on the stroke of half time, and seeing there was no advantage the referee blew up for the free kick, which Peters superbly curled home into the top left corner, and goalkeeper Emmanuel Nwosu was unmoved on the goal line.

HT 0-2

Charles dribbled into the box, Foxley received a low cross but his shot was blocked, and Merrifield was tackled and the ball was cleared before the striker could shoot. Popping up on the right wing, Charles chased down a hopeful pass down the line by Henshaw, and the winger picked out Anthony Church in space on the edge of the box, but his side-footed strike went high and wide of the goal. Charles fired wide from the left side of the box, and Jonny Giles was straight into the action after coming off the bench, forcing a save from Nwosu with a powerful strike from 18 yards having cut inside off the right wing. Fabion Simms headed wide from a right wing corner, before Peters completed his hat-trick, running through the right channel he held off the challenge of Folkes, and finished into the bottom left corner. Merrifield capped off the match with a goal one minute from time, dribbling round Folkes and smashing the ball through Nwosu from six yards.

FT 0-4


Harlow Town XI

1 Emmanuel Nwosu

2 Alex Luque (Steele 70’)

3 Layne Eadie

4 James Folkes

5 Jimmy Wallace

6 Fabion Simms

7 Jared Small

8 Syrus Gordon (c) (Yellow card 19’)

9 Samson Maagbe (Obikoi-Simeon 46’)

10 Dante McIntosh (Aliaj 64’)

11 Terrell Egbri


12 Josh Steele

14 Aleko Aliaj

15 Jesse Mansaray

16 Aaron Obikoi-Simeon

17 Callum Berg

20 Robert Horgan

Blues XI

1 Jack Giddens

2 Jay Porter

4 Anthony Church

6 Ryan Henshaw (c)

10 Frankie Merrifield (Goal 89’)

11 Tosin Olufemi

12 Jack Thomas (Yellow card 56’) (Johnson 62’)

14 Darren Foxley (Giles 70’)

15 Ryan Charles

18 Ollie Peters (Goal 16’ 45’ 77’)

19 Harry Beadle (Haines 72’)


3 Josh Demetriou

7 Jonathan Giles

8 Matt Johnson

9 Donell Thomas

17 Mark Haines

Attendance 805