Enfield Town 4-2 BSFC

Enfield Town 4-2 AET Bishop’s Stortford Match Report 29/10/19


Enfield Town needed extra-time to see past Bishop’s Stortford in a first qualifying round replay in the FA Trophy.

After Billy Bricknell’s late equaliser for the Town on Saturday at the ProKit UK Stadium, the Blues were destined for a trip to Donkey Lane, but after a further 90 minutes the teams still couldn’t be separated.

After twice being ahead, the Blues were pegged back with the hosts getting the two decisive goals in the second period of extra-time.

The deadlock wasn’t broken until the 27th minute, better than the Blues’ previous visit in August when they were 2-0 down after four minutes and 4-0 down at half-time.

Just as he did on Saturday, Jordan Chiedozie tested Nathan McDonald with a free kick early on and Shomari Barnwell followed up from the saved effort but his shot was blocked.

Muhammadu put a header wide from a right-wing cross before a counter-attack led to ex-Towner Aaron Greene over-hitting his cross to Barnwell.

Greene then had a corner cleared and Alex Warman made a great recovery tackle on the halfway line to stop the Town breaking.

Faal had another chance to score after he took down the long ball but it went just wide, before Barnwell’s cross was blocked at the other end.

Greene silenced the home fans’ taunts with a peach of a cross on to Chiedozie’s head to take the lead, before Greene himself had a chance to score but couldn’t reach Billy Mycroft-Edwards’ deep cross.

Long range efforts from Greene and Barnwell saw the Blues in the ascendancy until the break.

Half-time 0-1

Ken Charles rattled the cross bar with the first attack of the second half for the Town, before Bawling’s rebound effort was blocked by Alfie Mason.

Then came a succession of chances that Faal will be wondering how he didn’t convert, shooting wide twice and another straight at Fred Burbidge.

McDonald, wary of being lobbed by Barnwell like on Saturday, was out quickly after the big striker beat the offside trap and was in on goal.

Ryan Blackman scored the equaliser from close range after the Blues failed to clear, with the Town midfielder proceeding to celebrate in Jack Thomas’ face.

The match really opened up in the last 10 minutes of regulation time, with McDonald saving acrobatically from Barnwell’s header before Ben Sampayo cleared off the line from a corner and Blackman’s low shot from long range cannoned against the post.

Substitute Alex Read could have won it with the last attack of the game, but that was to discount Warman making a great block to deny an almost certain goal.

Full-time 1-1

Into extra-time and Barnwell had the first chance to score but he miscued wide from Greene’s through ball.

After Ken Charles’ cross was cleared, it was Barnwell who put the Blues ahead; after a ball forward from substitute Olly Miles was held up by Chiedozie, Barnwell made some space in the left channel and shot low past McDonald.

Burbidge made a brilliant double save from two close range shots, before Mark Weatherstone found another equaliser for Town by tapping home at the back post.


Half-time ET  2-2

As the prospect of penalties loomed, as did the possibility of Faal not getting a goal for all his hard work, with his latest chance being tipped over the bar by Burbidge.

Charles scrambled home from close range after a scramble in the box, before Faal finally got on the scoresheet by shooting into an empty net when Burbidge had come out to clear.

Full-time AET 4-2

Enfield Town advance to the next round and will host Thatcham Town after their win over Swindon Supermarine, meanwhile Bishop’s Stortford return to BetVictor Isthmian Premier League action on Saturday as Leatherhead are the visitors to the ProKit UK Stadium.



Enfield Town XI

1: Nathan McDonald

2: Jon Muleba

3: Joe Payne

4: Scott Thomas

5: Mark Weatherstone © (Goal 105’)

6: Glenn Wilson (Hatton 65’)

7: Ryan Blackman (Goal 78’) (Esan 104’)

8: Sam Youngs

9: Ken Charles (Goal 107’) (Mubiayi 111’)

10: Muhammadu Faal (Goal 120’)

11: Bobson Bawling (Read 66’)



12: Junior Mubiayi

13: Ed Thompson

14: Sam Hatton

15: Alex Read

16: Callum Ellesley

17: Samson Esan



Bishop’s Stortford XI


1: Fred Burbidge

2: Ben Sampayo

3: Billy Mycroft-Edwards (Charles 69′)

4: Jack Thomas

5: Sam Robbins

6: Ryan Henshaw ©

8: Alex Warman

11: Aaron Greene

14: Jordan Chiedozie (Goal 27′)

15: Alfie Mason (Miles 94′)

20: Shomari Barnwell (Goal 98′)



7: Ryan Charles

9: Jamie Cureton

10: Olly Miles

12: Jack Johnson

19: Louie Johnson


Attendance 204