East Thurrock United 1-2 Bishop’s Stortford Match Report

East Thurrock United 1-2 Bishop’s Stortford Match Report 19/10/21


Bishop’s Stortford came from a goal down to beat East Thurrock United with a winner in the 88th minute. Johnny Ashman opened the scoring for the Rocks, before Ryan Charles equalised in the first half, and Frankie Merrifield netted the late winner, moving the Blues up to seventh in the league.


Ola Ogunwamide had the first shot after a bright start for the hosts, but he fired high and wide of the goal, as Merrifield and Jake Cass combined, with the latter closed down in the box by defenders before he could let fly. Ashman then netted the opener, a rocket of a shot from near 30 yards, perfectly into the top left corner, but the Blues nearly equalised instantly, with Cass’ low cross from the right just inches away from the boot of Charles at the back post as the chance went begging. Ex-Blue Arthur Janata denied a close range volley from Merrifield with a great reaction save after Jonny Giles’ cross, and Merrifield headed wide from the resulting corner. A huge slice of luck assisted in the Blues equaliser, with Charles’ long range effort deflecting off the studs of a defender and going through Janata’s hands to nestle into the bottom corner, to level the match. Giles played a one-two with Cass on the edge of the box but fired wide with his left foot, before Cass had a chance for himself as he pounced on a poor header by a defender and ran in behind, but took the ball too wide and couldn’t keep his shot on target. It looked like the Blues would end the half in the lead, when Ben Marlow cut back Charles’ cross for Cass to head home in the middle, it somehow looped up over the bar from close range, only for the assistant referee to raise his flag for offside after the move had concluded.


HT 1-1


Ashman had an early second half shot on target but Jack Giddens was down quickly to make a save, before Giles saw his free kick deflected off the wall for a corner. Ben Wyss’ free kick caused a goalmouth scramble for the Rocks, but Mark Haines eventually cleared, and Alex Hernandez fired against the inside of the post from outside the box, but the rebound didn’t fall to a teammate for an open goal. It looked like Charles had won it with a great low effort across Janata towards the bottom right corner, with the keeper beaten it rolled inches wide of the goal though. Charles then followed it up with a smart turn but the shot was too high. Substitute Johnville Renee crossed from the right wing towards the penalty spot where Cass held up the ball, and released Merrifield on the left, who fired home off the crossbar from a tight angle, to take the lead with less than two minutes to go. As the hosts pushed for an equaliser, there was opportunity for a counter attack, and it looked like Cass would seal the win but he was unable to keep his shot on target.


FT 1-2


The Blues travel to FA Cup First Round Proper participants Horsham on Saturday, who are struggling in the league, languishing in 21st position.



East Thurrock United XI

1 Arthur Janata (c)

2 Ben Wyss

3 Rimmel Daniel

4 Joe Heath

5 Ryan Mallet

6 Danny Cossington

7 Johnny Ashman (Goal 11′)

8 Samuel Owusu

9 Tobi Joseph (Yellow card 65′)

18 Ola Ogunwamide

19 Alex Hernandez


11 Kenny Aileru

12 Necati Gench

14 Rob Lacey

17 Jon Benton

20 George Pugh


Blues XI

1 Jack Giddens

3 Archie Edwards

5 Sam Robbins (c)

7 Jonny Giles (Sub Renee 75′)

8 Ben Marlow (Yellow card 60′)

9 Jake Cass

10 Frankie Merrifield (Goal 88′)

12 Jack Thomas

15 Ryan Charles (Goal 24′)

17 Mark Haines

19 Jimmy Wallace


11 Johnville Renee

13 Toby Bird

16 Charlie Allum

20 James Baker


Attendance 168