Cheshunt 0-1 Blues

Cheshunt 0-1 Bishop’s Stortford Match Report 7/12/19


Bishop’s Stortford completed a league double over Hertfordshire rivals Cheshunt, with player-manager Jamie Cureton continuing his form in front of goal, netting the only goal in a 0-1 win.

44-year-old Cureton – who scored twice in the 3-2 win in the reverse fixture in August in the week of his 44th birthday – made it six goals in six games with a smart free kick early on.

The Blues also kept a second clean sheet in a row and the fourth of the season, while the Ambers were reduced to 10 men late on after Mo Camara received a second yellow card.


Ryan Henshaw had an early chance for a break-through, heading Alfie Mason’s corner into the ground before Harry Girling made a good save.

Alex Warman picked up the ball on the edge of the box, forcing Girling into a good save down to his left on the half volley.

Ryan Charles was fouled on the edge of the box – one of many throughout the match that the referee let slide – with Cureton striking under the wall as it jumped, leaving Girling diving desperately to his right to keep the ball out without success.

Henshaw could have made it two, but could only head wide from Warman’s free kick, before Reece Beccles-Richards had the first shot for the hosts, who skied it high above the crossbar from the edge of the box.

Another chance off Henshaw’s head, this time forcing Griling into a brilliant save to deny the Blues skipper, tipping his effort onto the bar off Mason’s corner.

Fred Burbidge was caught in a moment of indecision at the other end, after coming out to punch the ball on the edge of the box, then Ryan Moss tried to chip the goalkeeper, however Sam Robbins got back well to head the ball away from danger.


Half time 0-1


Similar to Moss’ effort in the first half, Jack Thomas took a shot with Girling out of his goal, with Sean Cronin clearing off the line.

Girling miscued a punch straight into the path of David Manu, who could only shoot wide, before Mo Camara received the first booking of the day after an hour’s play.

Then came skipper Mark Hughes’ booking, before Camara got his second yellow and was given his marching orders.

Substitute Shomari Barnwell received the ball to his chest, before turning and running at goal, but he could only shoot wide from an angle.

Manu cut in from the left and shot straight at Girling, who parried to Barnwell, but the big striker’s effort was cleared off the line, before the Blues managed to negotiate injury time to see out the win.


Full time 0-1




Cheshunt XI

1: Harry Girling

2: Emmanuel Udoji

3: Jamie Reynolds

4: Mark Hughes © (Yellow card 76’)

5: Mo Camara (Yellow card 61’ 77’)

6: Sean Cronin

7: Bobby Mills (Olusanya 72’)

8: Amadou Kassarate (Ghinea 46’)

9: Ryan Moss (Re 80’)

10: Reece Beccles-Richards

11: Ethan Nelson-Roberts



12: Olutoyosi Olusanya

14: Khalifa Jabbie

15: Joe Re

16: Darius Ghinea


Bishop’s Stortford XI

1: Fred Burbidge

4: Jack Thomas

5: Sam Robbins

6: Ryan Henshaw ©

7: Ryan Charles

8: Alex Warman

9: Jamie Cureton (Goal 8’) (Baxter 71’)

11: David Manu

12: Jordan Wescott

15: Alfie Mason (Barnwell 57’)

16: Jayden Sweeney



2: Ben Sampayo

14: Matt Baxter

17: Mark Haines

18: Bradley McClenaghan

20: Shomari Barnwell


Attendance 208