BSFC 2-2 Margate

Bishop’s Stortford 2-2 Margate Match Report 18/1/20


Bishop’s Stortford came twice from being a goal down to rescue a draw at home to Margate on Saturday. Kieran Monlouis struck in the first half for the visitors, before Mark Haines and Shomari Barnwell scored in the last minutes, either side of Adem Ramadam’s strike. The Blues scored a
late winner to triumph in the reverse fixture in November, with Jamie Cureton getting a brace in the 3-4 win.


Cureton’s men were well out of sorts in the first half, the only real chance came after three minutes when the player manager forced Joseph Tupper into a fine diving save from a 30-yard free kick. Monlouis had a headed chance at goal but fired over, before Kadell Daniel curled an effort at goal but Fred Burbidge made sure it went wide. Alfie Mason at left back was out of position, allowing Elliott Reeves in behind for a low cross which none of the defenders could clear, with Monlouis on hand to turn and fire home.

There was controversy mid-way through the first half, when Haines went down injured, the Blues thought that Margate should have given the ball back after the throw-in, instead Daniel dribbled through and shot at goal, forcing Burbidge into a low save. The Blues ended the first half
the way they started, with a good chance, as debutant Alex Read headed over the bar from a corner.


Half time 0-1


Half time substitute Barnwell made an instant impact, finding Cureton with a cut-back from the bye-line but he couldn’t get a shot away, before having a shot himself from long range straight at Tupper. Jack Thomas played a lofted pass through to the big striker, but he could only kick the air and not the ball at close range, and Margate scrambled clear. Bradley McClenaghan volleyed over soon after, with the Blues very much dominant at that point. Ryan Henshaw – back in the starting XI and as captain – headed at goal from Alex Warman’s corner, but it was blocked on the line, before
McClenaghan tested Tupper again with a long range strike. The Blues pressure eventually told, with Haines getting his first goal for the club, heading home Warman’s whipped free kick at close range – only after ex-Blue Reece Prestedge was booked for his antics in the wall. Prestegde then won a corner with a marauding run into the box, from which Ramadam curled the ball into the top
corner from the edge of the box, a goal worthy of winning any game. But the Blues fought on, and right at the death they equalised again, McClenaghan chipped the ball over the defence into Barnwell with his back to goal, before turning and shooting low past Tupper. Cureton had a chance to win it when the ball dropped to him for a winner after a corner, but he miss-hit it and the chance had gone.



Bishop’s Stortford XI

1: Fred Burbidge

4: Jack Thomas

5: Sam Robbins

6: Ryan Henshaw ©

7: Matthew Campbell-Mhlope (Barnwell 46’)

8: Alex Warman (Yellow card 37’)

9: Jamie Cureton

10: Alex Read (Johnson 69’)

15: Alfie Mason (Wescott 46’)

17: Mark Haines (Goal 87’) (Yellow card 80’)

18: Bradley McClenaghan



2: Jordan Wescott

3: Billy Mycroft-Edwards

12: Lawrence Hammond

19: Louie Johnson

20: Shomari Barnwell (Goal 87’)


Margate XI

1: Joe Tupper

2: Chris Sessegnon

3: Jay Porter

4: Reece Prestedge (Yellow card 80’)

5: Dan Johnson

7: Tommy Lamb (Campbell 72’)

8: Kieran Monlouis (Goal 14’) (Robins 76’)

9: Eliott Reeves (Leighton 71’)

10: Kadell Daniel

11: Adem Ramadam (Goal 86’)

16: Liam Friend



12: Roman Campbell

14: Jordan Robins

15: Ben Swift

17: Michael Abnett

18: Noel Leighton


Attendance 277