BSFC 1-1 Folkestone Invicta: MATCH REPORT

Bishop’s Stortford 1-1 Folkestone Invicta Match Report 6/10/20


Bishop’s Stortford’s winning run came to an end but remain unbeaten in six matches at the start of the season after a 1-1 draw at home to Folkestone Invicta on Tuesday night. Aaron Greene opened the scoring for the Blues in his first start of the season, before Jordan Wright equalised after the break. The Blue were briefly second in the league before conceding, but are now sixth, just two points from top of the league Bowers & Pitsea – the only other remaining unbeaten team in the Pitching In Isthmian Premier Division.


The two changes from the eleven that started against Brentwood Town on Saturday in the FA Cup was the team that finished that match, with Greene and Darren Foxley making the difference after coming on at half-time. Greene made a bright start against Invicta, having a low teasing free kick cleared before he got in behind the defence from Sam Robbins’ cross but was flagged offside. Scott Heard had a shooting chance on a counter-attack for the visitors but Jack Giddens made a smart low save, before the keeper was in action again to deny David Smith. Greene’s goal came in the 12th minute, with the two changes linking up, Foxley found Greene in the middle of the park who drove into the box, worked the ball onto his left foot and rifled it home high into the net over Tim Roberts’ head. With the Blues defence caught napping after going in front, Sam Hasler had a chance to shoot from Adem Ramadan’s short corner but could only fire wide with his left foot. Foxley saw a speculative long range strike at goal go over the bar, before Archie Jones found the winger with a through ball having picked up the ball in the middle with a sliding tackle. Foxley’s cross to the back post was overhit and Greene couldn’t keep the ball in. From a similar position to wear he scored, Greene shaped to shoot with his right foot but cut back on to his left, allowing the defender the chance to tackle and clear. Giddens came out to close down the angle for Ramadan’s shot, and with the keeper out of position, Robbins was on hand to block on the line Smith’s effort on the rebound. A great chance for two nil came and went for Foxley, dribbling into the box from the halfway line, but he skied his shot from 12 yards, trying to take the net off with a powerful effort. Roberts suffered a scare when he dropped the ball over the line from a corner, but referee Ayrton Hursey blew for a foul on the keeper in the aftermath of a Blues corner. Ben Marlow’s sliding effort from Robbins cross went wide, before Foxley volleyed at goal with his weak foot, but Roberts saved, as the Blues ended the half strongly, but may have felt that they could have been further in front.


HT 1-0


Invicta made a much better start to the second half, going close with a header from a corner that Mark Haines misjudged. Roberts attempted punch from Greene’s cross fell to Sam Mvemba, who kept it alive as he passed to Foxley but his shot was blocked on the line, before Roberts’ handling was called into question once again as he parried Foxley’s corner straight to Merrifield, but the striker couldn’t work the ball through the crowded six-yard box. Substitute Correy Davidson provided some fresh legs on the right wing, cutting in and shooting left-footed soon after coming on, forcing Roberts into a low save. Smith had a shot from a tight angle which Giddens parried well, but Wright was unmarked and smashed home from close range to level the scores, before Smith had a shot deflected wide for a corner. Substitute Tom Richardson headed just wide from Greene’s header, before Richardson got his head to Davidson’s cross but Roberts caught it. Clark Woodcock came off the bench for the visitors and had a great chance to nick three points but he rushed his shooting opportunity in the left channel on the counter attack, Smith fired wide and Hasler shot over the bar. Joe Boachie’s energy late on looked like it would make a winning difference, into injury time and one of his crosses was overhit, before he cut it back to Greene who shot first time over the crossbar. Ramadan dribbled past Robbins at right back and curled one towards the far post as Giddens saw it wide.


FT 1-1


Despite picking up a point, wins for Kingstonian and Horsham see Folkestone Invicta drop to 17th in the table, while Bishop’s Stortford are up in 6th. The Blues travel to Cray Wanderers on Sunday 11th October, before hosting Royston Town in the FA Cup Third Qualifying Round on Wednesday 14th October.



Bishop’s Stortford XI

1 Jack Giddens

3 Sam Mvemba

4 Jack Thomas

5 Sam Robbins

6 Ryan Henshaw (C)

8 Ben Marlow (Yellow card 25’)

10 Frankie Merrifield (Richardson 67’)

11 Aaron Greene (Goal 12’)

14 Archie Jones (Davidson 65’)

15 Darren Foxley (Boachie 82’)

17 Mark Haines


2 Michael Mullings

7 Correy Davidson

9 Tom Richardson

18 Joe Boachie

20 Jordan Brown


Folkestone Invicta XI

1 Tim Roberts

2 Josh Vincent

3 Jordan Wright (Yellow card 51’) (Goal 77’)

4 Finn O’Mara

5 Callum Davies (c) (Yellow card 34’)

6 Ronnie Dolan

7 Scott Heard

8 Sammy Moore (Woodcock 61’)

9 Adem Ramadan

10 David Smith

11 Sam Hasler


12 Tyler Stirling

14 Micheal Everitt

15 Clark Woodcock

16 Charlie Blanks

17 Henry Newcombe


Attendance 254

By Hamish Arnold

Watch our interviews with Steve Smith here