BSFC 0-2 Hornchurch

Bishop’s Stortford 0-2 Hornchurch Match Report 22/2/20


Bishop’s Stortford suffered a fifth consecutive defeat and remain winless in 2020 as Hornchurch won 0-2 on Saturday at the ProKit UK Stadium. Chris Dickson and ex-Blue Matt Johnson scored late in each half to see the Urchins go away with all three points, and they remain third in the league, while the Blues are down in 16th.


With the wind behind them, the Blues started the brighter. Early free kicks gave good chances to make a breakthrough, while Johnville Renee stung the palms of Joe Wright from long range. Nathan Cooper – who had been booked in the third minute – continued to battle with Craig Calver throughout the match, and was perhaps fortunate to stay on the pitch given the number of fouls he committed. Aaron Greene made a great run through the middle, picked out by Bradley McClenaghan, he tried to chip ex-Blue Wright in goal, but the ball got stuck in a muddy patch in front of the goal and it was scrambled clear. Greene nearly deceived Wright with a long range free kick, but he managed to palm it around the post for a corner, before Jamie Cureton – who scored a hat trick away at Horsham for the Blues less than a month ago – fired over Fred Burbidge’s goal from close range. Greene forced a Wright save from another free kick, before Ross Debrick’s clearance rebounded off Jordan Clark into the path of Chris Dickson who held off Ryan Henshaw to shoot low past Burbidge. After the goal, the visitors could have doubled their lead but for a great last ditch tackle by Debrick denying Adam Cunnington in front of goal.


Half time 0-1


Calver seemed to be the victim of another foul, in the penalty area this time but referee Jorden Cushen gave a free kick the other way for simulation by the Blues front man. Clark shot over the bar from the edge of the box after making space, before Burbidge denied Cureton with a fine save from a powerful strike. Substitute Louie Johnson made an impact off the bench, finding Greene with a great switch, whose cross was punched away by Wright, and Barnwell similarly changed the game, stinging the palms of Wright with a half volley from the edge of the box. Just as the Blues looked to be getting back into the match, Hornchurch doubled their lead, with Johnson heading home from close range after Burbidge had parried Joe Christou’s free kick onto the crossbar. Barnwell fired straight at Wright from close range, and Warman’s low cross couldn’t find the team-mate in the middle.


Full time 0-2




Bishop’s Stortford XI


1: Fred Burbidge

5: Sam Robbins

6: Ryan Henshaw © (Yellow card 90’)

7: Johnville Renee

10: Craig Calver

11: Aaron Greene

14: Jack Folan (Barnwell 72’)

16: Ross Debrick

17: Mark Haines (Warman 46’)

18: Bradley McClenaghan (Johnson 59’)

20: James Baker



2: Jordan Wescott

8: Alex Warman

9: Shomari Barnwell

12: Daniel McCullock

19: Louie Johnson


Hornchurch XI

1: Joe Wright

2: George Winn

3: Remi Sutton

4: Arthur Lee

5: Nathan Cooper (Yellow card 3’)

6: Matt Johnson © (Goal 78’)

7: Joe Christou

8: Jordan Clark

9: Jamie Cureton

10: Chris Dickson (Goal 37’)

20: Adam Cunnington



11 : Daniel Uchechi

12 : Charlie Stimson

14 : Sonny Dutton

19: Hassan Sakariya


Attendance 327