BSFC 0-2 Bowers & Pitsea Match Report

Bishop’s Stortford 0-2 Bowers & Pitsea Match Report 18/9/21


Bishop’s Stortford bowed out of the FA Cup at the hands of Isthmian Premier rivals Bowers & Pitsea in the Second Qualifying Round on Saturday. Bowers won 0-2, with goals from Max Cornhill and Michael Ademiluyi, while the Blues were reduced to 10 men in the second half when Jack Thomas was shown a red card. It ends the Blues winning run at three games, while the visitors are now unbeaten in their last five, including two FA Cup wins.


The Blues had the better of the opening stages, with Jonny Giles crossing to Archie Jones at the back post, who set up Jake Cass for the shot, but the defender nicked the ball away before he could shoot. The referee played advantage after a foul on Giles, allowing Johnville Renee to cross from the left wing, but no teammate was at the back post to head home. Bowers took the lead somewhat against the run of play, the first time they created a chance of note and Cornhill put it in the back of the net. Alexander Bentley crossed to Daniel Trendall who nodded the ball down for Cornhill to fire into the roof of the net on the half-volley. The Blues responded well to the set back though, with Frankie Merrifield having a shot blocked from a tight angle after Cass’ through ball, and Archie Jones saw his shot go high of the target after it had been cleared to the edge of the box following a corner. Jack Giddens denied Bradley Sach with his feet after the striker had beaten the offside trap, and Bentley’s long range effort went over the crossbar. Sach saw another shot saved by Giddens, before Sam Robbins nearly diverted the ball into his own net while trying to clear from the feet of Trendall, but Giddens dived on the loose ball as it rolled towards the goal line.


HT 0-1


After the break, Cass had a great chance to equalise but headed straight at Mitchel Beeney from a right wing cross, before Giddens denied Ademiluyi with a low save after a Bowers counter attack. Sach’s powerful effort shot from the edge of the box was met with an equally good save by Giddens, and Merrifield saw his header rebound off the crossbar from Ryan Charles’ right wing cross. Soon after coming off the bench, Thomas was given his marching orders when referee Thomas Kelly produced a red card for a tackle over the ball and into the shin of the Bowers player. Steve Smith then changed the system, going to a back-three and bringing on James Baker as a second striker. The plan nearly worked instantly, when Baker got through on goal and cut back on to his right foot but his shot lacked power and it was straight at Beeney. With the Blues pushing for an equaliser, Bowers took the chance to double their lead on the counter attack, with Ademiluyi beating Jimmy Wallace to the ball in the right channel and firing low past Giddens. Merrifield slipped Baker in behind the Bowers defence but Beeney made the save again, and Wallace preserved any slim hopes of a Blues fight by producing a brilliant block of an open goal to deny Danny Norton after Cornhill’s cut back, but the hosts failed to produce any further chances to get back into the game.


FT 0-2


The Blues return to Isthmian League Premier Division action on Saturday 25 September when Leatherhead are the visitors to the R & D Advisors Stadium, before hosting Enfield Town on Tuesday 28 September.



Blues XI

1 Jack Giddens

3 Archie Edwards (Sub Baker 74’)

4 Anthony Church (Yellow card 90+1’)

5 Sam Robbins

6 Ryan Henshaw (c)

7 Jonny Giles

9 Jake Cass (Sub Charles 54’)

10 Frankie Merrifield

11 Johnville Renee

14 Archie Jones (Sub Thomas 66’)

18 Jimmy Wallace


8 Ben Marlow

12 Jack Thomas (Red card 70’)

15 Ryan Charles

17 Mark Haines

19 Reiss Chandler

20 James Baker


Bowers & Pitsea XI

1 Mitchel Beeney

2 Alexander Bentley

5 Max Cornhill (Goal 24’) (Yellow card 72’)

6 Callum Leahy

7 Quentin Monville (Sub Ademiluyi 43’)

9 Bradley Sach (Sub Albon 78’)

14 James Thomas

15 Danny Norton

16 Jamie Dicks (Yellow card 30’)

17 Daniel Trendall (Sub Stephen 82’)

20 James White (c)


3 Thomas Stephen

10 Christopher Millar

11 Jordan Peart

12 Tobias Braney

13 Harry Fairs

18 Michael Ademiluyi (Goal 76’)

19 Luca Albon (Yellow card 90+4’)


Attendance 445