BSFC 0-1 Wingate & Finchley

Bishop’s Stortford 0-1 Wingate & Finchley Match Report 1/2/20


Bishop’s Stortford suffered defeat to the team at the bottom of the league as Wingate & Finchley snatched an injury time winner at the ProKit UK Stadium on Saturday. The visitors, winless in league matches in the last 84 days, scored in the third minute of added time to break the deadlock through Bilal Sayoud. Fred Burbidge had saved a penalty for Bishop’s Stortford in the second half, keeping out Alphanso Kennedy’s spot kick, before ultimately losing his clean sheet at the death.


Aaron Greene, making his first start since the November visit to Bowers and Pitsea, made a lively start, finding Jamie Cureton in the middle with a through ball after a run through the midfield, but the 44-year-old was closed down before he could get his shot away. Fumnaya Shomotun was a constant threat down the right, and started with an effort at goal that went wide, but had another effort later in the half which looked to be curling into the top corner, but for Burbidge’s intervention. Alex Read provided a low cross to Greene in the middle, but he couldn’t get his shot away before goalkeeper Shane Gore collected to loose ball.


Half time 0-0


A great chance to make the breakthrough came in the early stages of the second period, when Ryan Henshaw beat the offside trap from Cureton’s free kick but could only chip over the bar. After an injury to a Wingate & Finchley player, the Blues had a drop ball on the edge of the box, Cureton crossed to Shomari Barnwell who couldn’t convert from close range at the back post, as the defence managed to scramble clear. Toby Bancroft was then fouled by Mark Haines in the box for the second penalty conceded in three matches for the Blues, and much like the one at Horsham, Burbidge guessed the right way, but this time he saved it. Diving low to his left, he parried Kennedy’s spot kick around the post for a corner. Tommy Tejan-Sie had a shot from outside the box that cleared the stand behind the goal, before Jamie Jellis fired a free kick straight a Burbidge. A spell of pressure for Stortford then ensued with consecutive corners taken by Greene, the first of which was gloved behind from the face of the goal by Gore, before Henshaw’s goalward header was blocked. On the counter-attack, Lawrence Hammond half-volleyed at goal but straight at Gore, before Shomotun went up the other end and put through Jellis, but Henshaw nicked it away to clear. Jordan Wescott played a lively cameo off the bench, nearly forcing an own goal with a whipped cross that Sean Grace nearly diverted into his own net, but he will have been relieved to see it go wide of the post. After another Greene corner was headed away, Jack Thomas had a volley at goal, before Wingate & Finchley raced up the other end, with Shomotun’s cross being bundled home from close range by Sayoud. Questions were asked of the assistant referee about whether the goal-scorer was offside from the original effort, but the goal stood – much to the delight of the travelling players, fans and officials.


Full time 0-1



Bishop’s Stortford XI


1: Fred Burbidge

5: Sam Robbins

6: Ryan Henshaw ©

8: Alex Warman (Thomas 46’)

9: Jamie Cureton

10: Alex Read (Hammond 46’)

11: Aaron Greene (Yellow card 57’)

16: Ross Debrick (Yellow card 85’)

17: Mark Haines (Yellow card 58’)

18: Bradley McClenaghan (Yellow card 62’) (Wescott 81’)

20: Shomari Barnwell



2: Jordan Wescott

4: Jack Thomas

7: Matthew Campbell-Mhlope

12: Lawrence Hammond

19: Louie Johnson


Wingate & Finchley XI


1: Shane Gore ©

2: Chris Doyle

3: Kane Farrell

4: Ahmet Rifat (Ruff 82’)

5: Jake Eales (Yellow card 90+1’)

6: Sean Grace

7: Fumnaya Shomotun (Ifil 90+4’)

8: Tommy Tejan-Sie

9: Toby Bancroft (Sayoud 69’)

10: Jamie Jellis

11: Alphanso Kennedy



12: Richard Platt

14: Charlie Ruff

15: Bilal Sayoud (Goal 90+3’)

16: Olumide Oluwatimilehin

17: Luke Ifil


Attendance 240