BSFC 0-0 Horsham Match Report

Bishop’s Stortford 0-0 Horsham Match Report 5/3/22


Bishop’s Stortford were held to a second consecutive 0-0 draw at home to Horsham on Saturday. Following last week’s goalless encounter at Margate, the Blues were unable to bounce back, and missed an opportunity to keep pace with leaders Worthing, who won, as did third-placed Folkestone Invicta and fourth-placed Enfield Town. The Blues kept a fifth clean sheet in a row, and have still lost only once at home all season.


In a crazy opening to the game, both sides hit the woodwork within a matter of seconds of each other inside four minutes. Shamir Fenelon – who scored an injury time equaliser to rescue a point for the Hornets in the reverse fixture – cannoned a low shot off the post unmarked from a low right wing cross, before Chris Harris’ cut back was hammered onto the crossbar by Jack Thomas eight yards out. Ryan Henshaw’s shot on the turn drifted wide from the edge of the box, from Darren Foxley’s left wing free kick. Billy Cracknell’s deflected cross fell kindly to Thomas, but he side-footed straight at Sam Howes from 10 yards. Lee Harding cut in off the right and shot low on goal, but Jack Giddens made the save, before Anthony Church was required to clear off the line from Harding’s volley following a right wing corner. Ryan Charles laid the ball off to Ben Marlow on the edge of the box for the midfielder to strike first time, but his deflected effort fell kindly to Howes, and Jack Giddens’ free kick was nodded down by Harris to Church who forced Howes into a reaction save but he was flagged offside. Cracknell headed behind a dangerous right wing cross with Harding behind him ready to nod home, before Harris’ glancing header at the other end went narrowly wide from Foxley’s whipped cross off the right, and Harris’ first time effort from Giddens’ clearance was parried by Howes for a Blues corner.


HT 0-0


Archie Edwards’ left wing cross was pinpoint for Foxley in the middle, but he shot over the bar, and substitute Tom Richards took a heavy touch as he dribbled into the box, allowing Giddens the chance to save with Rob O’Toole waiting in the middle for a cut back. A low cross from the left into a dangerous area fell kindly to Harding at the back post, but he fired into Giddens’ midriff when it looked easier to score. Harris struggled to generate power on a low shot from Frankie Merrifield’s lay off, and Tom Kavanagh volleyed high of the target from 20 yards. Harris headed wide from Edwards’ left wing cross, and Charles was flagged offside before shooting as he received the ball from Merrifield’s through ball.


FT 0-0


The Blues host Merstham on Saturday 12 March, before the rearranged visit of Worthing to the  R & D Advisors UK Stadium on Tuesday 15 March.



Blues XI

1 Jack Giddens

3 Archie Edwards

4 Anthony Church (Merrifield 66’)

6 Ryan Henshaw (c)

8 Ben Marlow

9 Chris Harris

12 Jack Thomas (Peters 56’)

14 Darren Foxley (Giles 65’)

15 Ryan Charles (Yellow card 85’)

17 Mark Haines

19 Billy Cracknell


2 Reiss Chandler

7 Jonny Giles

10 Frankie Merrifield

16 Ollie Peters

18 Archie Jones


Horsham XI

13 Sam Howes

2 Steven Metcalf (Hester-Cook 76’)

3 Harvey Sparks

4 Charlie Harris

5 Jack Brivio (c)

6 Tom Day (Yellow card 7’)

7 Lee Harding

8 Tom Kavanagh

9 Shamir Fenelon (Richards 64’)

10 Rob O’Toole

11 Eddie Dsane


12 Christopher Sessegnon

14 Doug Tuck

15 Charlie Hester-Cook

16 Tom Richards

17 Lucas Rodrigues


Attendance 547