Brightlingsea 1-0 BSFC

Brightlingsea Regent picked up a win at home to Bishop’s Stortford on Tuesday. A match that was originally scheduled to be played in mid-December saw the hosts get only their fourth league win of the season, courtesy of Jake Clowsley’s second half strike, after Jamie Cureton had missed a penalty before the break.


The Blues started brighter than their Essex opponents, with Cureton going close from inside the box after Alex Read’s low cross, while the 44-year-old player-manager also had a free kick but fired straight at Rs’ goalkeeper Charlie Turner. Jack Thomas made a great run through the middle, played it to Alex Warman who laid off to Cureton on the edge of the box, his shot was blocked for a corner, which Ryan Henshaw headed inches wide. Shomari Barnwell made a good run down the right, cut in on his left foot but failed to find the target, before the big man was fouled in the box for the third time in two games, allowing Cureton another chance to get on the scoresheet. Instead of going high to the keeper’s left which had been very effective at Horsham on Saturday, he shot the other side, and Turner made a fantastic diving save to claw it away for a corner. Mark Haines nearly gave away a penalty at the other end, but his foul was judged to be outside the box, allowing Romario Dunne a shot at goal – he nearly found the breakthrough with the ball grazing the post and the side netting after brilliantly whipping it over the wall. On the stroke of half time, Barnwell crossed into Cureton who looked well-placed to head home, but a defender nicked it away.


Half time 0-0


Read dribbled through the midfield and to the edge of the box, but his touch was too heavy and the ball was cleared. Clowsley made the breakthrough soon after, volleying home after a corner fell to him 16 yards out, he looped it over Burbidge’s head and into the top corner. From the next attack, Burbidge produced a fine save to tip a goal-bound cross over the bar for a corner, before a goalmouth scramble somehow resulted in Brightlingsea Regent clearing the ball after both Barnwell and Thomas tried to convert from close range. With the Blues pushing for an equaliser, Burbidge was guilty of coming too far out of his box, which Lewis Byrne-Hewitt nearly profited from with a long range strike which went just wide of the post from near the centre circle. Substitutes Lawrence Mullins-Hammond and Aaron Greene played lively cameos, but couldn’t produce anything to salvage a point from the match.


Full time 1-0




Brightlingsea Regent XI


1: Charlie Turner

2: Morisi Gelashvili

3: Jake Gould

4: Jake Turner ©

5: George Forrest (Yellow card 21’)

6: Pip Boyland

7: Lewis Byrne-Hewitt

8: Jordan Barnett (Kamanzi 56’)

9: George Bugg (Yellow card 3’) (Grisi 63’)

10: Jake Clowsley (Goal 61’)

11: Romario Dunne



12: Lamell Howell

14: Jerry Kamanzi

15: Jack Mahon

16: Luca Grisi (Howell 78’)


Bishop’s Stortford XI


1: Fred Burbidge

2: Jordan Wescott,

4: Jack Thomas (Yellow card 26’) (Campbell-Mhlope 84’)

6: Ryan Henshaw © (Yellow card 41’)

8: Alex Warman

9: Jamie Cureton (Greene 62’)

10: Alex Read (Mullins-Hammond 67’)

16: Ross Debrick

17: Mark Haines (Yellow card 41’)

18: Bradley McClenaghan

20: Shomari Barnwell



3: William Mycroft-Edwards

7: Matthew Campbell-Mhlope

12: Lawrence Mullins-Hammond

15: Aaron Greene

19: Louie Johnson


Attendance 102