Brentwood Town 1-3 Bishop’s Stortford Match Report

Brentwood Town 1-3 Bishop’s Stortford Match Report 22/7/22

Bishop’s Stortford got back to winning ways in pre-season with a 1-3 triumph at Brentwood Town. The Essex side, managed by former Blues boss Rod Stringer, scored first after a goalless first half, but akin to the win at Takeley, the Blues came from behind to win the match.

Darren Foxley played a through ball to Jay Porter down the left wing, his cross was too powerful though and landed on the roof of the goal net. Brentwood #6 fouled Tosin Olufemi as he tried to pass back to Jack Giddens, with the referee blowing for a Blues free kick before the home player’s shot was saved. At the other end, the goalkeeper came to catch a high ball and was fouled in the process, and play was brought back before the ball was put in the back of the net. Chris Harris and Jack Thomas linked up in attack, with the midfielder passing to Foxley, who forced a low save from the keeper, diving to his left with a 25 yard strike. Frankie Merrifield improvised with a high ball in the box, attempting an acrobatic volley from a tight angle but couldn’t hit the target. #6 shot on target but it deflected off Mark Haines into the air, and Giddens was fouled by #17 as he came to take the catch.

HT 0-0

Foxley whipped a cross in towards Merrifield in the middle, his header was powerful but lacked direction and the keeper saved. Giddens made a fine diving save to deny #17, but from the following corner the #15 headed home through a crowd of bodies, somewhat against the run of play throughout the match. Thomas shot first time from the edge of the box from a left wing cut back, but his effort went high and wide of the goal. Merrifield met Matt Johnson’s cross with a header but the keeper denied him with a diving save, before Terrell Egbri crossed from the right to Ryan Charles at the back post who nodded home the equaliser. #17 controlled a diagonal pass but shot wide from a tight angle. By this time, Brentwood were playing a high defensive line, and Egbri profited from this, running behind the defence and beating the onrushing keeper with ease and scoring into the empty net. After a goal and an assist, Egbri won a penalty after he was fouled in the box. Merrifield stepped up to take it but the keeper made a fine low save, down to his left and pushed it round the post. But the striker soon atoned for that error, slamming home from 18 yards, with a first time strike from Foxley’s cutback.

FT 1-3

Blues XI

1 Jack Giddens

2 Jay Porter

4 Anthony Church

5 Sam Robbins (c)

7 Jonny Giles

9 Chris Harris

10 Frankie Merrifield (Goal 90’)

11 Tosin Olufemi

12 Jack Thomas

14 Darren Foxley

17 Mark Haines


3 Archie Edwards (Porter 64’)

8 Matt Johnson (Church 46’)

15 Ryan Charles (Giles 46’) (Goal 69’)

16 Terrell Egbri (Harris 46’) (Goal 83’)

18 Charlie Allum (Thomas 78’)