Blues 1-1 Enfield Town

Bishop’s Stortford 1-1 Enfield Town Match Report 26/10/19

Bishop’s Stortford and Enfield Town will do it all again on Tuesday night after their FA Trophy first qualifying round encounter ended all-square. The scene of a 5-0 loss to the town in the BetVictor Isthmian Premier League in August. The Blues will return to Donkey Lane after Billy Bricknell’s volley cancelled out Shomari Barnwell’s lobbed goal at the ProKit UK Stadium.

The hosts opened the scoring against the run of play, after Muhammadu Faal and Ken Charles – who scored twice in the reverse league fixture – went close.

Fred Burbidge was in action early on, blocking a cross with his feet that deflected off Faal and looped up into the air.

After early pressure from Enfield, Stortford started to get a foothold in the game, which lead to the Blues taking the lead through Ryan Henshaw’s long pass to Barnwell, who beat the defence and chipped the in-rushing Nathan McDonald from the edge of the box.

Blues 1-0 Enfield

Henshaw was also involved and had a chance himself to double the lead, but headed over the
bar from a corner. More pressure from the Blues saw Jordan Chiedozie’s headed attempt on goal go wide. Chiedozie had a chance to double the lead from a free kick, which was brilliantly tipped over the bar by McDonald. Sam Youngs took a shot on the end of a succinct counter-attack for Town, again forcing Burbidge to pull off an excellent save to deny Sam Youngs.

At the other end Aaron Greene chipped just wide after good build-up by Chiedozie and Alfie Mason, before Greene was involved in a touchline incident with Town’s assistant manager Mario Noto, who was shown a straight red as a result.

Half Time 1-0

After his winning goal two weeks ago against Horsham, Billy Mycroft-Edwards had a chance to be the hero again when he pounced on some poor defending to cut in and shoot on his left foot, but McDonald got down well to save.

And from the following corner, Town somehow managed to scramble away after a number of efforts to get a second for the Blues, before Charles miscued wide at the other end.

Burbidge tipped a fine curling effort round the post, and from the resulting corner Glenn Wilson slid in at the back post but couldn’t convert after a flick on.

Faal then missed from close range when it looked easier to score, before Henshaw made a great sliding tackle to keep the clean sheet – only until a minute later, when Bowling crossed from the left to Bricknell in the middle of the box to score Enfield equalising goal.

The Blues had a succession of corners into additional time, but couldn’t force a winner.

Full Time score

Blues 1-1 Enfield Town

The replay will take place on Tuesday 29th October, meaning the Blues’ scheduled home match, in the league at home to Corinthian Casuals will be postponed to a later date, which has not yet been confirmed.


Bishop’s Stortford XI

1: Fred Burbidge

2: Ben Sampayo

3: Billy Mycroft-Edwards (Miles 76’)

4: Jack Thomas

5: Sam Robbins

6: Ryan Henshaw © (Yellow card 63’)

8: Alex Warman

11: Aaron Greene

14: Jordan Chiedozie (L Johnson 86’)

15: Alfie Mason

20: Shomari Barnwell (Goal 15’)



9: Jamie Cureton

10: Olly Miles

12: Jack Johnson

16: Reece Simpson

19: Louie Johnson


Enfield Town XI

1: Nathan McDonald

2: Jonathan Muleba

3: Joe Payne

4: Scott Thomas

5: Marc Weatherstone © (Yellow card 67’)

6: Glenn Wilson

7: Ryan Blackman (Yellow card 68’)

8: Sam Youngs (Mubaiyi 90+1’)

9: Billy Bricknell (Goal 85’)

10: Muhammadu Faal

11: Ken Charles (Bowling 75’)



12: Junior Mubaiyi

13: Ed Thompson

14: Bobson Bowling

15: Samson Esan

16: Alex Read

17: Callum Ellesley

18: Sam Hatton


Attendance 317