Blues 0-2 Lewes

Bishop’s Stortford 0-2 Lewes Match Report 23/11/19


Bishop’s Stortford lost 0-2 at home to Lewes in a match which the Blues missed a penalty before the referee was taken injured.

After edging a seven-goal thriller away to Margate on Tuesday, today’s visitors proved too good, avenging the defeat towards the end of last season when the Blues were in the hunt for a play-off position.


Lewes scored the opening goal from the first real chance of note in the match, with Dayshonne Golding’s deflected effort wrong-footing Fred Burbidge and into the bottom corner.

Jordy Mongoy could have doubled the lead, but his sliding effort from James Hammond’s deflected free kick lacked power, before Jack Thomas had a back post header cleared off the line at the other end.

Hammond stung Burbidge’s gloves with a long range effort, while Jamie Cureton did have the ball in the net, though he had been flagged offside before being flattened by Lewes goalkeeper Nathan Stroomberg-Clarke.


Half time 0-1


After a slow start to the second period, Ryan Charles struck a powerful effort from outside of the box that went inches high of the bar, before a 20-yard Cureton free kick grazed the netting on the side of the goal.

Lewes got their second against the run of play, with Stefan Ilic heading home unmarked in the middle of the six-yard box.

Eight minutes after coming off the bench to make his debut, Richard Dos Santos Seixas made an impact by winning a penalty, but Shomari Barnwells’ low shot to Stroomberg-Clarke’s right was saved.

Soon after that, there was a long stoppage in play, with referee Joshua Crofts sustaining an injury meaning he could no longer continue.

Crofts – who had said pre-match that he had a slight injury but decided to start the match regardless – left the field, with one of the assistant’s taking his place in the middle, with Blues chairman and qualified referee Ian Kettridge running the line for the last 10 minutes.

With the Blues still reeling from the penalty miss, they failed to make any subsequent chances, while Lewes were content to keep the ball and see out the win.


Full time 0-2




Bishop’s Stortford XI

1: Fred Burbidge

2: Ben Sampayo

3: Josue Antonio

4: Jack Thomas

5: Sam Robbins ©

7: Ryan Charles (Yellow card 76’)

9: Jamie Cureton (L Johnson 87’)

11: David Manu (Dos Santos Seixas 72’)

16: Ross Debrick

18: Bradley McClenaghan

20: Shomari Barnwell (Yellow card 39’)




8: Alex Warman

12: Jack Johnson

14: Richard Dos Santos Seixas

15: Ryan Richefond

19: Louie Johnson


Lewes XI

1: Nathan Stroomberg-Clarke

2: Tom Day

3: Leon Redwood

4: Michael Dome-Bemwin

5: Frankie Chappel © (Yellow card 58’)

6: Alex Malins

7: Dayshonne Golding (Goal 7’)

8: James Hammond

9: Jordy Mongoy

10: Tegan Freeman (Yellow card 19’) (Diedrick-Roberts 46’)

11: Stefan Ilic (Goal 72’) (Medlock 90+3’)



12: Kayne Diedrick-Roberts

14: Peter Gregory

15: William Medlock

16: Jason Dawson


Attendance 219