Blues 0-1 Leatherhead

Bishop’s Stortford 0-1 Leatherhead Match Report 2/11/19


Bishop’s Stortford lost 1-0 at home to Leatherhead on Saturday.

The Tanners arrived at the ProKit UK Stadium on the back of five successive wins including a 3-0 victory at home to Ware in the FA Trophy, while the Blues were unfortunately knocked out of the Trophy after extra-time in a midweek replay at Enfield Town.

Chances were few and far between in the match, with the wind and rain really hampering the fluidity of the game.

Leatherheads Tommy Wood slipped over in the box early on, looking longingly at the referee for a penalty before it fell to Charlie Hester-Cook who fired over the bar.

Ibrahim Olutade had two shots blocked by Sam Robbins, for the Blues, before shooting wide of the target, and after a Leatherhead corner, the Blues cleared to Ryan Charles who shot just wide of the goal.

The best chances for both sides came from set pieces, most notable an Aaron Greene free kick from the right wing that couldn’t find the on-rushing Ryan Henshaw at the back post.

Jamie Cureton’s men were forced into two first-half substitutions due to injuries, Alfie Mason in the 15th minute, who was replaced by Billy Mycroft-Edwards and Jordan Chiedoize being replaced by Jamie Cureton in the 39th minute.

From the next Leatherhead attack, Nikki Bull’s side made the breakthrough, with Travis Gregory curling home from 12 yards; which saw the Blues struggle to clear their line, resulting in Leatherhead taking a 1-0 lead within the 39th minute.


Half time 0-1

The Blues started the second half brightly and looked much better than the first half with chances falling to Cureton who had a shot on the turn from substitute Billy Mycroft-Edwards’ cross but it was blocked at close range by Oualah.

Shomari Barnwell flicked on a goal kick towards Cureton, but he could only divert the ball wide of the post.

The 58th minute saw the Leatherhead manager Nikki Bull receiving a straight red, this now being the second time in as many home games that an opposition coach has been given marching orders by the referee.

The Blues defence recovered from a four-on-two counter-attack to deny a second goal, flying in to block shots before Gregory curled wide.

Ryan Charles made a great run down the right, recovering to keep possession after being fouled, to cross to Cureton in the middle who was ready to fire home from close range but Zaki Oualah in the Tanners’ goal got in front of the striker to catch the lofted pass.

The Blues produced their best spell into injury time, and despite some late pressure and a flurry of crosses, Leatherhead withstood the pressure to see out the win.


Full time 0-1

Leatherhead’s sixth successive win in all competitions means they sit in 12th in the BetVictor Isthmian Premier League, while Bishop’s Stortford are currently in 15th.

The Blues travel to St Albans City in the Herts Senior County Cup on Tuesday 5th November, before a rearranged match on Saturday 9th November as Corinthian Casuals come to the ProKit.



Bishop’s Stortford XI


1: Fred Burbidge

2: Ben Sampayo

4: Jack Thomas (Yellow card 57’)

5: Sam Robbins

6: Ryan Henshaw ©

7: Ryan Charles

8: Alex Warman

11: Aaron Greene

14: Jordan Chiedozie (Cureton 39’),

15: Alfie Mason (Mycroft-Edwards 15’)

20: Shomari Barnwell



3: Billy Mycroft-Edwards (L Johnson 76’)

9: Jamie Cureton

10: Olly Miles

12: Jack Johnson

19: Louie Johnson


Leatherhead XI


1: Zaki Oualah

2: Callum Driver (Yellow card 87’)

3: Joe Tennent

4: Finlay McNab (Yellow card 65’)

5: Will Salmon ©

6: Jerry Nnamini

7: Travis Gregory (Goal 39’)

8: Charlie Hester-Cooke (Ikebuasi 61’)

9: Tommy Wood

10: Ibrahim Olutade (Seager 79’)

11: Eddie Dsane (Mezine 87’)



12: Izunna Ikebuasi

14: Will Seager

15: Charlie Dawkins

16: Lyes Mezine

17: Marco Figuerido-Correia


Attendance 248