Bishop’s Stortford 4-1 Enfield Town Match Report

Bishop’s Stortford 4-1 Enfield Town Match Report 15/4/23

Hamish Arnold

Three goals in 13 second half minutes secured Bishop’s Stortford’s sixth consecutive win at home to Enfield Town on Saturday. The Blues equalled their biggest home win in the league this season, in the final match of the regular campaign in the Pitching In Isthmian League Premier Division at the R & D Advisors UK Stadium with a 4-1 success. Enfield Town are without a win in five games and are unable to make it into the Play-Offs with Aveley, Cray Wanderers, Lewes and Hastings United still in the fight for fourth and fifth place.

Jack Giddens’ free kick from near the halfway line was won in the air by Ryan Henshaw, but the returning Blues skipper’s towering header was saved by Nathan McDonald. Matt Johnson’s cross from the left wing looked dangerous as it curled in towards the far post, but it was too heavy for Frankie Merrifield to head home. Anthony Church’s clearance was flicked on by Ryan Charles into Merrifield’s path, but McDonald came out quickly to clear into the crowd. Matt Johnson’s long throw – a regular threat that the visitors couldn’t deal with – from the left wing wasn’t cleared but McDonald saved a shot from Church and then Merrifield at close range. Johnson’s cross from the right was taken high above his head by McDonald, before Ollie Peters’ low cross was cut out for a corner when he was slid through by Darren Foxley. Merrifield kept the ball under pressure in the box but curled over the bar left footed. Peters’ long range strike was deflected away for a corner, from which Foxley curled it straight in at the far post from the right hand side. An edge of the box strike from Merrifield went high of the target, before McDonald saved a Henshaw header from Giddens’ free kick. A rare chance for Town was snuffed out when Michael Bakare was flagged offside from Jake Cass’ through ball. Joseph Payne’s left footed volley sailed wide of the goal from a tight angle, before the Blues successfully defended two Town corners before half-time.

HT 1-0

Despite dominating the first period, Stortford only had one goal to show for it, and were made to pay for missed chances when Bakare ran through on goal from a through ball, rounded Giddens and slotted home two minutes into the second half. With their belief growing, Bakare beat Tosin Olufemi on the Enfield left wing and passed inside to Cass, whose shot was blocked and Youngs picked up the rebound, and his shot was blocked behind for a corner by Jay Porter. The resulting corner kick was headed over the bar, and Johnson headed wide from Peters’ free kick at the other end. From a long throw on the left hand side, Harry Beadle flicked the ball on at the near post, and as Town failed to clear, Church turned and poked into the back of the net from six yards to restore the lead. Bakare headed wide from a right wing throw, and Merrifield had McDonald rooted to the spot with a 25 yard chest-and-volley that went only narrowly wide of the left post. From the goal kick, Tosin Olufemi won the header and Charles picked up the ball, dribbling down the right wing. He cut in onto his left foot and curled a cross to the far post for Foxley to head into the top left corner for his second of the game. The visitors’ defence were all over the place by this point, Merrifield dispossessed Wilson-Braithwaite and should have converted a one-on-one with McDonald, but he saved with his legs, Charles dribbled into the box but his low shot at an angle was saved. He didn’t have to wait much longer to get the ball in the net though, volleying home in the box from Johnson’s chipped cross after the throw-in hadn’t been cleared – his third goal in as many games. Peters fired wide from the left side of the box, and Andre Coker laid off a free kick to Lewis Taaffe, but his long range strike was saved by Giddens. Cass won a header from a goal kick, but Giddens grasped the loose ball before Taaffe could get there. Substitute Ben Marlow fired wide from a laid off free kick, before Charles shot into the side netting from a powerful left wing strike.

FT 4-1


Bishop’s Stortford XI

1 Jack Giddens

2 Jay Porter

4 Anthony Church (Goal 58’)

6 Ryan Henshaw (c) (Haines 74’)

8 Matt Johnson

10 Frankie Merrifield (Harris 84’)

11 Tosin Olufemi

14 Darren Foxley (Goal 34’ 65’)

15 Ryan Charles (Goal 71’)

18 Ollie Peters (Marlow 78’)

19 Harry Beadle


3 Sam Deering

7 Jonny Giles

16 Ben Marlow

17 Mark Haines

20 Chris Harris

Enfield Town XI

1 Nathan McDonald

2 Johnville Renee

3 Joseph Payne (Yellow card 60’)

4 Scott Thomas (c) (Yellow card 54’) (Taaffe 73’)

5 Lewis Knight

6 Dequane Wilson-Braithwaite

8 Sam Youngs

9 Jake Cass

10 James Dayton (Coker 63’)

14 Michael Bakare (Goal 47’) (Wyllie 78’)

17 Chez Isaac


7 Lewis Taaffe

11 Lyle Della-Verde

12 Marcus Wyllie

15 Andre Coker

16 Khale Da Costa

Attendance 1348