Bishop’s Stortford 3-1 Cheshunt Match Report

Bishop’s Stortford 3-1 Cheshunt Match Report 1/1/22


Bishop’s Stortford began the new year in perfect fashion, beating nearby rivals Cheshunt 3-1 at home to move up to second in the Pitching In Isthmian League Premier Division. The Blues had lost to the Ambers two weeks ago in the FA Trophy in a penalty shootout following a goalless draw, but were on the winning side today, ending a 16 match unbeaten streak for the visitors. It was Stortford’s first New Year’s Day win since 2013 with Ryan Charles, Ryan Henshaw and Chris Harris scoring for the Blues.


Ben Marlow ensured the Blues started on the front foot, flashing a shot just wide of the post from 25 yards after 15 seconds. Henshaw got his head to a Jonny Giles free kick but it was defended for a corner, from which Marlow had a low shot blocked. Johnville Renee won the ball back from Chevron McLean down the right and his cross was cleared as far as Giles, who saw his shot blocked, so too did Marlow on the rebound. Giles curled a free kick in from the left to Henshaw in space, but he could only rattle his header off the crossbar. Charles made no mistake from the next cross, an inswinger from the right by Giles, nodded home into the top left corner with a glancing header. Tom Gardiner had the first chance of note for Cheshunt, with a long range curler but Jack Giddens made the save. Marlow saw his long range strike fly over the bar and Rowan Liburd’s lay-off to Taylor Miles was perfect to strike, but it went narrowly over the bar. Giles’ dipping effort from the edge of the box was saved, and he was the provider for the second goal, with Henshaw heading home at the back post from a left wing corner. Harris chased down Charles’ flicked header but George Marsh rushed out of his goal quickly to smother the loose ball, before a short free kick to Miles whose shot curled away from goal from range. Giddens goal kick was chased down by Harris, who brought the ball down brilliantly, went round Marsh with ease and finished calmly from a tight angle. Liburd laid the ball off to Reece Beckles-Richards, but his shot went wide. The best chance for the Ambers in the half came right at the end, when Renee’s miscued clearance fell kindly to Jamie Reynolds, but Henshaw flew in to block the shot when it looked easier to score on the stroke of half-time.


HT 3-0


Reynolds dragged a low shot wide early in the second half, before Frankie Merrifield fired high and wide on his weaker left foot. Giles slid the ball through to Darren Foxley, but his shot was straight at Marsh, and Charles could only fire wide of the target after cutting in from the left. There was nearly a duplicate of Harris’ first half goal when Giddens found the striker with a long kick, but Harris slipped as he took the shot and Marsh was able to save. Giles unleashed a powerful strike which looked to be destined for the top corner, but for a diving save by Marsh at full stretch. Harris again brought down Giddens’ pass, but a heavy touch meant it was easy for Marsh to save, and substitute Zubayr Boadi fired wide from a tight angle after getting in behind the Blues defence. Reynold couldn’t keep his volleyed effort down from a left wing cross, and soon after coming on, James Thomas went off injured, meaning the Blues finished the match with 10 players with all three substitutes already made. Cheshunt carried on pushing and eventually got a consolation, with Miles firing into the top corner from 20 yards. Mo Camara nearly reduced the deficit further, but couldn’t quite reach the low left wing cross to stab home from close range.


FT 3-1


The Blues make the short trip to Potters Bar on Monday 3 January, before travelling to Hornchurch on Saturday 8 January.



Blues XI

1 Jack Giddens

5 Sam Robbins

6 Ryan Henshaw (c) (Goal 25’)

7 Jonny Giles

8 Ben Marlow (Sub Thomas 78’)

9 Chris Harris (Goal 38’)

10 Frankie Merrifield

11 Johnville Renee

14 Darren Foxley (Sub Church 69’)

15 Ryan Charles (Goal 13’) (Sub Allum 81’)

17 Mark Haines


2 James Thomas

4 Anthony Church

16 Charlie Allum

19 Jimmy Wallace

20 James Baker


Cheshunt XI

1 George Marsh

2 Jamie Reynolds

3 Chevron McLean

4 Amadou Kassarate (Yellow card 70’)

5 Tom Gardiner

6 Taylor McKenzie

7 Reece Beckles-Richards (Sub Boadi 65’)

8 Joe Re (c) (Sub Ekongo 54’)

9 Rowan Liburd

10 Taylor Miles (Goal 85’)

11 Zack Newton (Sub Camara 65’)


12 Enoch Ekongo

14 Mo Camara

15 Daniel Ojo

16 Zubayr Boadi

17 Charlie Taylor


Attendance 606