Bishop’s Stortford 2-2 Bowers & Pitsea Match Report

Bishop’s Stortford 2-2 Bowers & Pitsea Match Report

Pitching In Isthmian Premier Division, Monday 30th August 2021 

The Blues are still awaiting their first win of the league season after a frustrating afternoon at the R&D Advisors Stadium.

Steve Smith’s men dominated for long periods of the contest but were unable to grab a winning goal despite a late onslaught and had to settle for a share of the spoils.

The home side got off to the best possible start, taking the lead in the 5th minute when Jake Cass rose on the edge of the area to flick into the path of Frankie Merrifield, who beat the opposition keeper to the ball and calmly fired home from 15 yards.

Jack Giddens was called into action to bravely claw away at the feet of the pacy Monville when well positioned in the area, but the Blues remained firmly in control and went close to a second when Aaron Greene stole the ball down the left-hand side and smartly centred to Jake Cass, whose turn and shot forced a good low near post save from R’Avan Constable.

Unfortunately, in the 38th minute Greene suffered a serious injury whilst in possession of the ball, collapsing to the turf with a suspected ruptured achilles tendon.  The visitors, unaware of the serious nature of the injury, collected the loose ball and moments later drew level with Lewis Manor curling home via the inside of the post from 18 yards.

The Blues were reeling from the shock of Greene’s injury and almost fell behind before half time with Jamie Dicks’ fizzing 30 yard kick rattling the crossbar, with Mark Haines doing well to clear the danger from the rebound.

HT 1-1

It was a largely quiet start to the second period, though Thomas Stephen did well to head away at the back post with Anthony Church looking set to head home a cross from substitute Bobby Unwin.

Bowers took the lead in the 63rd minute, with a fine accurate cross from Dan Trendall met by the head of the imposing striker Manor for his second of the afternoon.

Blues were back on terms immediately from kick off, however, with Mark Haines hammering a long ball forward towards Frankie Merrifield who was flattened by a mistimed leap from keeper Constable, referee Karl Sear immediately pointing to the spot.

After Merrifield received treatment, Jake Cass took responsibility for the spot kick and drilled home a confident 66th minute penalty in off the right hand up right to restore parity.

From there on in only one team looked likely to win the game, with Constable in action again in the 72nd minute to brilliantly deny Anthony Church after a smart cut back from Merrifield.

Southend Utd loanee Unwin was causing all kinds of trouble down the left-hand side, firing in a low cross that the Bowers stopped spilled, but the ball was scrambled clear before Cass could pounce.

Jonny Giles sent a number of testing late deliveries into the box, with the Blues even adding the returning Ryan Henshaw into the attacking fray to try and grab a late winner but the visitors clung on and the points were shared.

FT 2-2

Blues:  Giddens, Church, Robbins, Giles, Wallace (Henshaw 90), Cass, Merrifield, Greene (Unwin 41), Thomas (Jones 76), Haines, Chandler.

Subs Not Used: Allum, Gardner

Bowers & Pitsea: Constable, Bentley, Stephen, Norton, Leahy, Monville, Manor, Dicks, Trendall (Peart 90), Ademiluyi (Albon 90), White.

Subs Not Used: Guest, Millar, Braney

By Mike Plume

Attendance: 369