Bishop’s Stortford 1-1 Cray Wanderers Match Report

Bishop’s Stortford 1-1 Cray Wanderers Match Report 26/8/22


An entertaining encounter ended all square as Bishop’s Stortford drew 1-1 against Cray Wanderers at the R & D Advisors UK Stadium on Friday night. Frankie Marrifield scored his third goal in four matches in the Pitching In Isthmian League Premier Division in the first half, but Mitch Chapman cancelled it out with a late equaliser.


Nyren Clunis’ powerful strike was straight at Jack Giddens who saved, and Harry Beadle went down under challenge in the box after a corner, but no penalty was awarded, and a promising counter attack opportunity for the Wands was ended with a poorly placed pass. Ollie Peters picked up the ball on the edge of the box after Jonny Giles’ shot from the right side was blocked, and instead of taking on the shot, he placed a perfectly weighted pass into Merrifield, who curled home first time from the left side, with Shaun Rowley unable to keep it from nestling in the top right corner. Merrifield was nearly the provider for Peters just minutes later, with the striker’s flick falling to Peters, and his powerful strike cannoned off the crossbar from a tight angle. A left wing cross was headed off target by Tom Derry, and A deep cross was controlled by Foxley on his chest, and Peters picked it up to volley but couldn’t keep it on target. Foxley’s close control superbly set up a shot for Giles via Anthony Church’s lay off, but he shot narrowly wide. The best chance of the half for the visitors fell to Clunis, after patient build up around the edge of the box, his shot was blocked for a corner by Church.


HT 1-0


Derry headed into the ground from a right wing cross but Giddens gathered, and Giles’ half volley at the other end was half-saved by Rowley, and the defence somehow scrambled clear from the six yard box with Tosin Olufemi ready to stab home. Substitute Terrell Egbri’s dipping cross from the right nearly crept into the top corner, but Rowley flapped it away, before a misplaced free kick by the keeper went straight to Merrifield, who slid the ball through to Chris Harris with a first time pass, but the substitute took it too wide and the shot was blocked. Dan Bassett volleyed from 30 yards but high of the target, and Jalen Jones jumped highest from a deep cross following a corner, Derry raced to reach the knock down but it ran out of play before he could control the ball. Harry Beadle made a superb sliding block to deny Anthony Cook’s low shot, and Harris had a shot deflected wide from Peters lay off on 18 yards. Beadle blocked a free kick by Cook in the wall, before a left wing free kick was rifled home through a crowd by Chapman from 18 yards, with Giddens unsighted. Harris fired wide when one-on-one with Rowley, Bassett curled wide at the other end as both teams pushed for a winner in this end to end encounter. Giddens’ full stretch dive denied Bassett’s volley from creeping inside the post, and from Matt Johnson’s long throw, Church’s header was blocked. The Blues had three successive corners but couldn’t snatch all three points, and had to settle for one.


FT 1-1


The Blues travel to Hornchurch on Bank Holiday Monday 29 August, before the visit of St Neots Town to the R & D Advisors UK Stadium on Saturday 3 August.



Blues XI

1 Jack Giddens

2 Jay Porter

4 Anthony Church

6 Ryan Henshaw (c)

7 Jonny Giles (Harris 58’)

10 Frankie Merrifield (Goal 15’)

11 Tosin Olufemi

12 Jack Thomas (Johnson 76’)

14 Darren Foxley (Egbri 50’)

18 Ollie Peters

19 Harry Beadle


3 Archie Edwards

8 Matt Johnson

9 Chris Harris

16 Terrell Egbri

17 Mark Haines


Cray Wanderers XI

1 Shaun Rowley

2 Roman Charles-Cook

3 Sam Wood (c)

4 Sam Skeffington (Crook 71’)

5 Harold Joseph (Christie 52’)

6 Jalen Jones

7 Dan Bassett

9 Tom Derry

11 Nyren Clunis

15 Mitch Chapman (Goal 79’)

16 Michael Ademiluyi (Cook 52’)


8 Billy Crook (Yellow card 84’)

10 Anthony Cook

12 Ben Krauhaus

14 Sinn’kaye Christie

19 Gary Lockyer


Attendance 399