Aveley 0-1 Bishop’s Stortford Match Report

Aveley 0-1 Bishop’s Stortford Match Report 8/4/23

Hamish Arnold

Bishop’s Stortford inched closer to the Pitching In Isthmian League Premier Division title with a 0-1 win at title rivals Aveley on Saturday. Ryan Charles’ first half strike secured a fourth consecutive win and clean sheet in a feisty encounter at Parkside. There were wins for Hornchurch and Canvey Island who stay two points behind with three games to play.

Jay Porter’s cross from the left wing was towards Charles at the back post, but goalkeeper Jonathan North caught the high ball. Ex-Blue George Sykes dribbled into the box but was dispossessed by Matt Johnson, Oli Coker volleyed first time but high and wide of the goal. Johnson’s long throw was headed by Johnson to Ollie Peters on the edge of the box, but his first-time volley was straight at North. Johnson’s left wing cross was won in the air by Harry Beadle, but he fouled an Aveley defender as he jumped and headed off target. The Colchester United loanee was then in action at the other end, blocking Sykes’ near post half-volley for a corner from Coker’s low cross from the right. Ryan Scott won the header from the resulting corner, but Jack Giddens saved well with a dive down to his left. Giddens – who was much busier in this match than in the three previous wins – made a smart save down to his right to deny Coker from the edge of the box. Sam Deering passed to Frankie Merrifield on the right wing, but the cross was too deep for Darren Foxley at the far post. Garrett Kelly gave away a free kick in a dangerous position with a handball from Porter’s pass, but Foxley didn’t test North from 20 yards, shooting high of the target. A misplaced pass out of defence was intercepted by Peters, who slid the pass through to Ryan Charles making a diagonal run into the right side of the box, he beat the defender and smashed home over North into the left side netting. A high cross from the right wasn’t claimed by North but Merrifield couldn’t sort his feet out in time and Scott cleared off the line. Coker dribbled from midfield into the box but couldn’t find the target with a weak shot from 15 yards.

HT 0-1

Coker whipped in an inviting cross from a deep free kick, but no teammate made an attempt to meet the ball, and Giddens caught it. Johnson rose highest to meet Peters’ free kick but headed off target, Aveley failed to clear a corner, and Foxley dribbled into the box and forced a save from North at his near post. Beadle deflected Coker’s shot from 25 yards, and Giddens scrambled across his goal to prevent the corner. Sykes wanted a penalty as he took the ball on his chest with his back to goal from a centre-circle free kick, but conceded a free kick for fouling Johnson in the Blues penalty area. Jason Ring made a run from right back but his shot was straight at Giddens who saved. The best chance for the Millers to equalise came from Sykes, who received a through ball into the box from Kelly, in space and 10 yards from goal he failed to hit the target. North saved Merrifield’s goalbound header from Foxley’s free kick and from a corner by Foxley, Charles headed off target. Into second half injury time, and Stortford kept the ball in the Aveley half to see out the win.

FT 0-1


Aveley XI

1 Jonathan North

2 Jason Ring

3 Tom Stephen

4 Siju Odelusi

5 Ryan Scott (Yellow card 90+5’)

6 Harry Gibbs (c)

7 Benas Vivada (Babalola 75’)

8 Garrett Kelly

9 George Sykes

10 Oli Coker (Ogunrinde 87’)

11 Jon Nzengo (Aileru 59’)


12 Kenny Aileru

14 Manny Ogunrinde

15 Temi Babalola

17 Jamie Dicks

18 Connor Witherspoon

Bishop’s Stortford XI

1 Jack Giddens

2 Jay Porter (Yellow card 90+2’)

3 Sam Deering (Henshaw 46’)

4 Anthony Church (c)

8 Matt Johnson (Yellow card 83’)

10 Frankie Merrifield (Harris 90’)

11 Tosin Olufemi

14 Darren Foxley

15 Ryan Charles (Goal 30’)

18 Ollie Peters (Marlow 75’)

19 Harry Beadle


6 Ryan Henshaw

7 Jonny Giles

9 Donell Thomas

16 Ben Marlow

20 Chris Harris

Attendance 643