Scunthorpe United 6-1 Bishop’s Stortford Match Report

Scunthorpe United 6-1 Bishop’s Stortford Match Report 28/10/23

Vanarama National League North

Hamish Arnold

Gio McGregor’s equaliser within a minute of Scunthorpe United’s opening goal was as good as it got for Bishop’s Stortford, as the former Championship side inflicted a seventh consecutive defeat on the Blues in all competitions. The Iron had scored six goals in victory over Spennymoor Town on Tuesday night, and equalled their tally on Saturday against the Blues in the Vanarama National League North.


Ollie Peters had the first shot of the match, from right of centre, outside the box, but his low effort went wide of the goal. Will Evans stayed up after a corner and his shot was parried by Jack Giddens, and Andre Boyce was flagged offside before he could convert the rebound. Connor Smith opened the scoring in the eighth minute, he cut in off the left wing and fired his right footed shot in off the underside of the crossbar. But the Lincolnshire side weren’t ahead for long, as Harry Beadle nodded down Darren Foxley’s free kick into McGregor’s path, and he rifled home into the bottom left corner from the edge of the box. Danny Whitehall’s glancing header from a left wing cross went narrowly wide of the target. Jack Jenkins dribbled into the box from midfield, he evaded the defenders but his shot lacked power and Giddens saved. Whitehall’s low cross was blocked for a corner by Mark Haines, from which the hosts restored their lead when Reagan Ogle glanced his header into the top right corner at the near post. McGregor won a corner for the Blues at the other end, riding the challenges and his low cross was blocked. But it was Scunthorpe United who made the most of the next set piece, when Jacob Butterfield’s shot was pushed wide for a corner, it was headed home by Evans from a central position. Ogle nearly bagged a brace from the next corner, but this time headed wide on the stroke of half-time.

HT 3-1

Ex-Blue Ross Fitzsimons saved Harrison Sodje’s low shot, before Giddens saved at the other end a header from Evans from a right wing corner. Giddens could only parry the next shot, back into the path of Tyler Denton, who volleyed home into the right side netting. Sam Robbins returned to action for the first time in over 13 months off the bench, alongside a fit-again Ben Marlow who both came off the bench. But the full-time fitness began to shine through, as Scunthorpe continued to apply pressure, Whitehall netted the fifth from sa low right wing cross, but Giddens was on hand for a double save to deny Smith and Whitehall on the end of a counter-attack soon after. Whitehall headed over the bar from a corner, and Cameron Wlson’s low shot from  a tight angle was saved by Giddens. Marlow fouled Smith and referee Oliver Noonan pointed to the spot in second half injury time, with Blues players protesting that the tackle was outside of the penalty area. Whitehall calmly slotted home down the middle for his second and three points for the Iron.

FT 6-1


Scunthorpe United XI

1 Ross Fitzsimons

2 Reagan Ogle (Goal 30’)

5 Will Evans (Goal 39’) (Barrows 76’)

6 Andrew Boyce (c)

19 Jacob Butterfield (Kelly 62’)

20 Kian Scales

21 Connor Smith (Goal 8’)

23 Jack Jenkins

26 Jason Law (Wilson 62’)

33 Tyler Denton (Goal 63’)

49 Danny Whitehall (Goal 75’ 90+7’pen)


3 Michael Kelly

11 Cameron Wilson

14 Richie Bennett

15 Tom Pugh

44 Ross Barrows


Bishop’s Stortford XI

1 Jack Giddens (c)

2 Mark Haines

3 Harrison Sodje

4 Jack Thomas

6 Harry Beadle (Assist 9’) (Yellow card 58’)

7 Gio McGregor (Goal 9’)

10 Darren Foxley (Robbins 66’)

11 Tosin Olufemi

16 Zain Walker

17 Aaron Greene (Charles 46’)

18 Ollie Peters (Marlow 80’)


5 Sam Robbins

8 Ben Marlow

12 Michel Parker

13 Adam Messaoudin

15 Ryan Charles

Attendance 3610