Haringey Borough 0-3 Bishop’s Stortford Match Report

Haringey Borough 0-3 Bishop’s Stortford Match Report 31/1/23

Bishop’s Stortford returned to the top of the Pitching In Isthmian League Premier Division table with a 0-3 win at Haringey Borough, Frankie Merrifield scored a hat-trick in the Blues’ third consecutive away win, moving two points clear of second-placed Enfield Town.

Stortford were on the front foot in the first minute, with Brandon Adams’ through ball too far in front of Darren Foxley in the box, and Luke Mewitt claimed the ball. Foxley’s cut-back from the right fell to Ollie Peters on the edge of the box, but his first time shot was wide of the target. Boro captain Michael O’Donoghue saw his low cross from the left travel all the way across the face of goal, with no team-mate gambling for a tap-in. Mewitt rushed out of goal to clear the ball, but Adams beat him in the chase and was fouled by the goalkeeper, Peters curled the free kick over the bar, before Porter passed to Adams on the edge of the box, but his shot was blocked at close range in the box. Despite a persistent spell of pressure leading up to half time, it looked as though the first half would end goalless, when Ryan Henshaw flicked Matt Johnson’s long throw to Ryan Charles at the back post, but his header was punched clear by Mewitt. Peters led a four on three counter attack, passed right to Foxley and his low shot was saved but parried back into play by Mewitt, and Merrifield fired wide on the rebound. Four minutes before half-time, the Blues went ahead, Charles dribbled into the box off the left wing, cut the ball back to Merrifield, who turned to make space for the right footed shot, and he fired home into the roof of the net.

HT 0-1

The visitors continued to apply pressure after the break, and increased the lead thanks in part to superb corner kicks from substitute Jonny Giles. He whipped the ball in from the right side, and may have carried all the way into the net, but Merrifield wanted it more than the scrambling Mewitt to nod home from close range. Donell Thomas charged down a seemingly lost cause when a defender headed the ball back towards the ‘keeper, he forced Mewitt to save a powerful strike from a tight angle and won a corner. The set piece caused mayhem in the six yard box, with Haringey Borough somehow scrambling clear, Anthony Church’s follow-up cross looked like an easy take for Mewitt, but it slipped through his gloves and Merrifield pounced for his third of the night into the empty net. George Aresti looked likely to pull one back for the hosts, he dribbled into the box but fired narrowly wide of the bottom corner from a tight angle. Foxley appeared to have beaten Mewitt with a dipping and curling effort from 25 yards, but it didnt drop enough and ricocheted off the crossbar, before Thomas hit the post with a low effort from Merrifield’s through ball into space in the box.

FT 0-3


Haringey Borough XI

1 Luke Mewitt (Yellow card 18’)

2 Sam Owusu

3 Michael O’Donoghue (c)

4 William Dupray

5 Scott Mitchell (Yellow card 83’)

6 Helge Orome

7 Bobson Bawling (Georgiou 46’)

8 George Aresti (Desa 74’)

9 Ben Allen

10 Christos Djamas (Djassi-Sambu 57’)

11 Tage Kennedy


12 Callum Ismail

14 Stefanos Georgiou

15 Jorge Djassi-Sambu

16 Olu Durojaiye

17 Erald Desa

Bishop’s Stortford XI

1 Jack Giddens

2 Jay Porter

6 Ryan Henshaw (c)

8 Matt Johnson

10 Frankie Merrifield (Goal 41’ 68’ 71’)

11 Tosin Olufemi

12 Jack Thomas (Church 64’)

14 Darren Foxley

15 Ryan Charles (Giles 53’)

16 Brandon Adams (D Thomas 58’)

18 Ollie Peters


4 Anthony Church

7 Jonny Giles

9 Donell Thomas

17 Anthony Atilola

20 Chris Harris

Attendance 273