Folkestone Invicta 3-0 Bishop’s Stortford Match Report

Folkestone Invicta 3-0 Bishop’s Stortford Match Report 4/3/23

Hamish Arnold

Bishop’s Stortford suffered a 3-0 defeat away to Folkestone Invicta on Saturday, but remain top of the Pitching In Isthmian League Premier Division. In-form Invicta – who have won five of their last six matches – are making a surge into Play-Off contention, and inflicted the joint-biggest defeat of the Blues this season with Ira Jackson’s brace before Louis Collins’ goal sealing three points. Stortford failed to score for the first time in 10 games, on a day when Aveley and Hornchurch dropped points, both drawing.

Darren Foxley fired over the bar from the edge of the box after Sam Deering’s corner from the left was headed away. Frankie Merrifield’s low cross from the left hit the base of the post and fell to Foxley but the defender was able to clear off the line. Home skipper Callum Davies rose highest and had a free header from a right wing corner, but couldn’t get his effort on target. A powerful header in the midfield from Anthony Church was picked up by Foxley, cutting in off the right, he shot over the bar from 25 yards. Church volleyed wide from a deep free kick by Deering before Davies had another free header off target from a set piece. Chris Harris replaced Deering on half an hour, and made an instant impact for the Blues, winning a flick on for Merrifield but Patrick Ohman made a good low save with his legs, and Matt Johnson’s long throw was headed on target by Harris but straight to Ohman. Running through on goal down the right hand side, Merrifield appeared to be off balance as he shot with the outside of his right foot he lost his footing and ball went wide. Ryan Henshaw raised his arm while sliding to block a cross from Collins and conceded a penalty, which Jackson emphatically finished into the top left corner just before half time. Ben Marlow was sent off as a substitute for dissent to referee Joseph Dann-Pye as he was leaving the pitch at the end of the first half.

HT 1-0

Ohman flapped at a high cross from Tosin Olufemi from the right, Harris looked certain to score from close range but the goalkeeper recovered to save the shot. Ronnie Dolan fired wide from 25 yards, and Nathan Green’s left footed free kick was curled low around the wall, but was blocked for a corner. Ibrahim Olutade broke through on goal, Jack Giddens saved the first shot but Jackson reacted quickest to the rebound and slotted home. Merrifield’s shot from Johnson’s long throw was headed into the net by Church, but the midfielder was flagged for offside by the referee’s assistant. Giddens recovered to save at the feet of Jackson from Olufemi’s miskick, with the striker unable to seal his hat trick. Green’s powerful free kick was punched by Giddens, into the path of Collins who fired home from close range. The Blues failed to net a consolation goal late on, with Merrifield keeping the ball in a tight space before passing to Ryan Charles, but his cross was overhit for Harris in the middle.

FT 3-0


Folkestone Invicta XI

1 Patrick Ohman

2 Josh Vincent

3 Nathan Green

4 Ian Gayle

5 Callum Davies (c)

6 James Rogers

7 Scott Heard

8 Ronnie Dolan

9 Ibrahim Olutade (Draycott 89′)

10 Louis Collins (Goal 85′)

11 Ira Jackson (Goal 42’p 71′) (Yellow card 75′)


12 Ian Draycott

14 Lenny Atherton

15 Jordan Ababio

16 Matt Newman

17 Joe Coleman

Bishop’s Stortford XI

1 Jack Giddens

2 Jay Porter

3 Sam Deering (Harris 29′)

4 Anthony Church (Yellow card 90+1)

6 Ryan Henshaw (c)

8 Matt Johnson (Yellow card 13′)

10 Frankie Merrifield

11 Tosin Olufemi

14 Darren Foxley (Giles 65′)

15 Ryan Charles

18 Ollie Peters (Haines 73′)


7 Jonny Giles

12 Lordon Akolbire

16 Ben Marlow (Red card 45′)

17 Mark Haines (Yellow card 75′)

20 Chris Harris

Attendance 834