BSFC 4-1 East Thurrock United Match Report

Bishop’s Stortford 4-1 East Thurrock United Match Report22/1/22



Bishop’s Stortford’s form in front of goal with a 4-1 win over East Thurrock United. The Blues have now scored nine goals in the last two games, after last weekend’s 5-0 drubbing over Brightlingsea Regent, with both matches being the second win of the season over each opponent. Mark Haines, Chris Harris, Jonny Giles and Anthony Church were on target for the Blues, while former Blues striker Olly Miles netted for the Rocks.


Harris thought he had netted the opener in the fourth minute when he latched onto Giles’ through ball, but was flagged offside as he put the ball in the net. Jack Giddens was required to make a fine diving save to deny Jake Gordon’s curling effort which was destined for the top corner. Miles Mitchell-Nelson made a brilliant block to deny Harris’ shot on the edge of the box, before Darren Foxley could only volley over the bar after a half-clearance from Ryan Charles’ left wing cross. Giddens’ long clearance fell to Harris, but his volley from a tight angle went off target. The Blues were able to exert a spell of pressure for the first time in the game with three consecutive corners, all asking questions of the visitors’ defence by Giles, with the third nodded home by Haines at the back post. The Blues were given a huge boost by taking the lead, and were able to double it on the stroke of half time, when Church blocked an attempted headed clearance, Harris took the ball on his chest and volleyed low past Janata for his fourth goal in his last five games.


HT 2-0


The goals kept coming after the break, with Ben Marlow picking out Darren Foxley with a smart pass after beating the offside trap, he cut the ball back to Giles on the edge of the box, who struck low into the bottom right corner. Haines could have bagged a brace, when he struck a sweet volley from Harris’ cushioned header following a corner by Giles, but the defender blocked his effort. A defensive mix-up between Haines and Giddens gave Miles an open goal to reduce the deficit to two, only for Church to strike back just three minutes later, with a deflected shot from the edge of the box after Harris and Frankie Merrifield had worked the ball wide to Giles. Merrifield could only head Marlow’s cross up into the air, but Janata caught the rebound with Church advancing, before Billy Cracknel volleyed over the bar from an offside position. A goalmouth scramble eventually ended in Curtis Ujah hooking clear, with Foxley, Harris, Merrifield and Marlow going close, before Giles slipped over as he struck a volley but Janata made the save. Despite being pinned back for most of the second half, East Thurrock United did force Giddens into two late saves, firstly from a corner, he caught the ball in his midriff at point blank range, before rushing out to Samuel Osei-Owusu to block a low shot with his legs.


FT 4-1


Bognor Regis Town are the visitors to the R & D Advisors UK Stadium on Tuesday 25 January, before the Blues travel to Leatherhead on Saturday 29 January.



Blues XI

1 Jack Giddens

4 Anthony Church (Goal 59’) (Thomas 71’)

5 Sam Robbins (c)

7 Jonny Giles (Goal 50’)

8 Ben Marlow (Yellow card 39’)

9 Chris Harris (Goal 45’)

11 Johnville Renee (Henshaw 51’)

14 Darren Foxley

15 Ryan Charles (Merrifield 52’)

17 Mark Haines (Goal 37’)

19 Billy Cracknell


3 Archie Edwards

6 Ryan Henshaw

10 Frankie Merrifield

12 Jack Thomas

20 Jimmy Wallace


East Thurrock United XI

1 Arthur Janata (c)

2 Ryan Boswell

3 Ben Wyss

4 Sam Collins (Okunja 66’)

5 Curtis Ujah

6 Miles Mitchell-Nelson (Yellow card 54’)

7 Samuel Osei-Owusu (Yellow card 86’)

8 Johnny Ashman

9 Olly Miles (Goal 56’)

10 Oliver Spooner

11 Jake Gordon (Yellow card 42’) (Barton 66’)


12 Fahad Nazor

14 Emmanuel Okunja

15 Jake Thompson

16 Ryan Dear

17 Thomas Barton


Attendance 544