BSFC 3-2 Brentwood Town: MATCH REPORT

Bishop’s Stortford 3-2 Brentwood Town Match Report 4/11/20


Bishop’s Stortford came from two goals down to win 3-2 at home to Brentwood Town in the Third Qualifying Round of the Buildbase UK FA Trophy. In a game rescheduled from Saturday with a waterlogged pitch, the hosts extended their unbeaten run at the start of the season to 11 games, with a fifth consecutive win. The Blues will travel to Haringey Borough in the First Round Proper of the competition, but the date for that fixture is yet to be confirmed with new coronavirus restrictions beginning on Thursday.


The visitors – who lost 1-0 in the FA Cup Second Qualifying Round at the R & D Advisors UK Stadium earlier this season – made a fast start, with Andrew Freeman continuing his fine form in front of goal with a near post flick from Robbie Rees’ low cross from the left, his sixth goal in five games. The Blues were forced into two early substitutions with injuries to Michael Mullings – making his first start for the club – and James Baker. Jack Giddens was out quick to deny Robert Harvey’s shot, with Sam Mvemba clearing the danger, before Tom Richardson went down in the penalty area after a tackle, but referee Paul Stratton decided against giving a penalty. Foxley found Richardson in the box, who turned smartly but shot wide from a tight angle. Rees – who was the main attacking outlet in the first half for Brentwood Town – put a powerful effort wide from the left wing, before Correy Davidson’s long range effort was high and wide at the other end. Harvey skied a close range tap-in off the crossbar from Rees’ low cross, but the visitors doubled their lead soon after, with Rees dribbling past Ryan Henshaw and picking out the top left corner with a powerful strike from the edge of the box. The referee playing an advantage after Davidson was fouled on the left wing allowed Ben Marlow into a crossing position but Robert Swaine headed clear. A poor attempt by Swaine to clear the next Marlow cross allowed Richardson to smash home from close range to halve the deficit as the Blues finished the first half as the better of the two sides.


HT 1-2


Rees skipped over an early second half challenge from Sam Robbins, but his low cross was cleared by Mark Haines. Richardson’s half-volley was blocked by Joseph Heath before Darren Foxley fired over the bar, and Jack Thomas fired over the bar from Foxley’s lay-off. Archie Jones opened his Blues goalscoring account with a great right-footed curling effort into the top right corner from the edge of the box to level the scores. Marlow tried to sweep Davidson’s left-wing cross home on the half-volley but put it wide with his left foot, before a seemingly certain penalty was denied by the referee when Swaine jumped all over substitute Frankie Merrifield in the area. Davidson’s left wing cross was parried away by Oliver Bowles but neither Foxley or Robbins could get a shot away on the edge of the box on the rebound. Jones has a left-footed effort blocked and deflected over the bar. And from the following corner, Foxley landed it right on Merrifield’s head, who dived forward to head home from close range. He could have maintained his record of never scoring a singular goal on its own this season, but for a brilliant save by Bowles who had started moving to his right before diving back to his left to tip it round the post.


FT 3-2


The Blues travel to Brackley Town on Saturday in the First Round Proper of the Emirates FA Cup, in the last scheduled match before non-elite football is postponed due to the coronavirus.



Bishop’s Stortford XI

1 Jack Giddens

2 Michael Mullings (Robbins 20′)

3 Sam Mvemba

4 Jack Thomas

6 Ryan Henshaw ©

7 Correy Davidson

8 Ben Marlow

9 Tom Richardson (Goal 38′) (Merrifield 62′)

15 Darren Foxley

16 James Baker (Jones 13′)

17 Mark Haines


5 Sam Robbins

10 Frankie Merrifield (Goal 86′)

14 Archie Jones (Goal 63′) (Yellow card 75′)

19 Louie Johnson

20 Jordan Brown


Brentwood Town XI

1 Oliver Bowles

2 Joshua Gray

3 Jake Gould

5 Robert Swaine (Yellow card 90+2′)

6 Joseph Heath

7 Wyan Reid (Love 68′)

8 Shad Ngandu

9 Robert Harvey

10 Andrew Freeman (Goal 4′)

11 Robbie Rees (Goal 29′)

12 Jack Dickinson (Ogunleye 79′)


4 James Love

14 Jay Bacon

15 Daniel Ogunleye

16 Connor Hogan


Attendance 406