Blues 0-4 Hornchurch

Hornchurch 4-0 Bishop’s Stortford Match Report 28/9/19


The Blues were on the end of another big defeat away at high-flying Hornchurch on Saturday.

League top scorer Chris Dickson and former Blue Matt Johnson both scored a brace in a 4-0 win for the Urchins.

The Blues had an early chance to score, when Jamie Cureton’s free kick just missed Jack Thomas at the back post who was waiting to head home.

The hosts gave Bishop’s Stortford a warning of Dickson’s ability in front of goal, when he ran in behind the defence but could only shoot tamely at Fred Burbidge in goal.

Hornchurch – who, at the time of kick off, were second in the league – had four ex-Blues in their starting line-up, including skipper Lewwis Spence who had a shot blocked by Thomas before Ryan Henshaw diverted Mickey Parcell’s cross back to his goalkeeper.

Alex Warman nearly scored an own goal but Burbidge managed to sort his feet out to clear, before Thomas saw through a complex free kick routine to close down the ball and make a flying block out for a throw in.

Cureton had a great chance to open the scoring, when he sidefoot-volleyed the ball from Henshaw’s knockdown, it looked goalbound before Shomari Barnwell blocked his own teammate’s shot about a yard from the goal.

And just a matter of minutes later, Cureton chipped a half-volley into the middle from the right that troubled ex-Blue Joe Wright in the Hornchurch goal, but fortunately for him it bounced behind off the crossbar.

The first goal of the afternoon came just before the half hour mark, when Johnson was unmarked at the back post he could easily run in and finish from the second cross after the corner. And with the lead, the Urchins began what proved to be very effective gamesmanship such as crowding the referee after a fair challenge by Henshaw, prompting a yellow card for the Blues captain.

Olly Miles – in for his first start of the season – made a Cruyff turn on the edge of the box before shooting left-footed, but high of the goal.

Hornchurch made it two before the break as Dickson improvised brilliantly from a poor first touch to volley with the outside of his right foot into the back of the net.

12 minutes after the break and Dickson made it three after a fortuitous rebound from Johnson’s shot fell to him at close range for an easy finish.

Daniel Uchechi will feel unlucky not to have got on the scoresheet, with one shot begin brilliantly tipped round the post by Burbidge, and the next rattling the opposite post.

Miles had another good chance to cement his place in the starting eleven, but the cross from Aaron Greene was headed off the goal line before it got to the young man at the back post.

In the closing stages, Matt Johnson got his second when he was on the end of a good counter-attack after the Blues had given up possession in midfield.

Hornchurch increase their goal difference advantage over table toppers Folkestone Invicta – who they entertain on Tuesday – but sit one point behind their south coast rivals.

The Blues play Potters Bar Town on Tuesday at home, who advanced to the next round of the FA Cup last weekend with a win over Hornchurch.



Hornchurch XI

1: Joe Wright

2: Mickey Parcell

4: Arthur Lee

5: Rickie Hayles

6: Matt Johnson (Goal 29′ 89′) (Yellow card 64′)

7: George Saunders

8: Lewwis Spence © (Sub R Winn 65′)

9: Joe Christou (Sub Clark 65′)

10: Chris Dickson (Goal 42′ 57′) (Sub Sutton

11: Daniel Uchechi

20: Nathan Cooper



12: Remi Sutton

14: Jordan Clark

15: James Goode

17: George Winn

19: Ronnie Winn


Bishop’s Stortford XI

1: Fred Burbidge

2: Ben Sampayo

4: Jack Thomas

6: Ryan Henshaw © (Yellow card 32′)

8: Alex Warman (Sub Mycroft-Edwards 72′)

9: Jamie Cureton

10: Olly Miles

11: Aaron Greene

14: Johnville Renee

18: Chris Gregan

20: Shomari Barnwell (Sub Mason 69′)



3: William Mycroft-Edwards

12: Jack Johnson

15: Alfie Mason

17: Reece Simpson


Attendance: 315