Bishop’s Stortford 2-3 Southport Match Report

Bishop’s Stortford 2-3 Southport Match Report 7/10/23

Vanarama National League North

Hamish Arnold

Despite leading from a losing position, Bishop’s Stortford failed to pick up any points from Saturday’s match at home to Southport in the Vanarama National League North. Andre Godfrinne’s first goal at home and first in the league for the Blues, and Gio McGregor’s first for the club were not enough, as new signings Kyran Clements and Harrison Sodje made their debuts.


Former Braintree Town defender Clemenrs was unable to stop the first goal, getting his head to Josh Hmami’s cross, but only succeeded in deflecting the ball into Michael O’Neill’s path, who didn’t seem to know much about the ball’s change of trajectory, as it bounced off his head and looped over new Blues captain Jack Giddens into the right side of the net. Harry Flowers headed over the bar from Jack Doyle’s right wing free kick, before McGregor’s short corner to Aaron Greene was played back to him, and he chipped to the back post but Billy Cracknell couldn’t get his effort on target from a tight angle. Greene appealed for a penalty as he battled to reach a left wing cross, it was cleared to Ollie Peters who volleyed high of the goal. David Morgan played a corner kick low to the edge of the box where Doyle took a touch but couldn’t hit the target with a wayward strike. Godfrinne equalised midway through the first half, picking up the ball from Peters’ pass with his back to goal, he turned and took on the shot early, finding the bottom left corner before Chris Renshaw could set himself for the shot. Marcus Carver could have restored the lead immediately but forced a great save from Giddens with a shot from a tight angle. Godfrinne fired wide from long range, and Flowers with another great leap failed to find the target with a header from Morgan’s corner. Niall Watson broke through one-on-one with Giddens but lifted his chip shot over the crossbar. In first-half injury time, Hmami headed over the bar when the Blues failed to clear a corner, and a long range shot was deflected into his path at the far post.

HT 1-1

Just like the first half, there was an early goal after the break, with McGregor cutting in off the left wing past two defenders and shooting low into the bottom left corner. Godfrinne crossed the ball from the right to McGregor in space, and his first time volley was brilliantly saved by Chris Renshaw. McGregor dribbled through the Southport defence and cut the ball back from the goal line but the ball was nicked away from Godfrinne before he could shoot, and Peters was dispossessed at the back post, Fraser Alexander’s first time shot went over the bar. Brad Holmes cut the ball back to the penalty spot from the right side and Hmami side-footed into the  bottom right corner. Carver headed wide from the middle of the box form a right wing free kick, before Jack Bainbridge – three minutes after coming off the bench – was on hand to tap in Carver’s left wing cross at the back post to take the win for the visitors.

FT 2-3


Bishop’s Stortford XI

1 Jack Giddens (c)

3 Harrison Sodje (Powell 46’)

6 Kyran Clements

7 Gio McGregor (Goal 48’)

9 Andre Godfrinne (Goal 26’) (Yellow card 64’)

14 Rob Howard (Yellow card 90+7’)

16 Zain Walker (Thomas 71’)

17 Aaron Greene (Assist 48’) (Braney 71’)

18 Ollie Peters (Assist 26’)

19 Billy Cracknell

20 Fraser Alexander


2 Mark Haines

4 Jack Thomas

5 Morgan Mahoney

8 Tobias Braney

15 Aaron Powell (Yellow card 77’)

Southport XI

1 Chris Renshaw

3 Jack Doyle

4 Harry Flowers

6 Declan Evans

7 Niall Watson (Yellow card 86’)

8 David Morgan (c)

10 Marcus Carver (Yellow card 32’) (Thomson 90’)

14 Keenan Quansah

15 Josh Hmami (Goal 68’) (Heath 80’)

21 Michael O’Neill (Goal 4’) (Bainbridge 79’)

22 Brad Holmes


2 Matt Thomson (Yellow card 90+1’)

13 Tony McMillan

17 Finlay Heath

18 Jack Bainbridge (Goal 82’)

Attendance 621