Blast from the past

Categories: Uncategorized

Andrew Cornell looks back at Blues’ games on May 17th

Two games on this date, 1947 was one of the worst winters of the 20th century and our latest ever finish to a league season with our penultimate league game played on this date. We faced Aylesbury United at home and the scoreline did not reflect the balance of play with all of Aylesbury’s goals coming from a weakness on the right side of Stortford’s defence. The game started at a fast pace with Lightfoot in the Aylesbury goal almost deceived by a bouncing shot from Lambert before Aylesbury too the lead. A miskick from Thurgood let in Dymock who scored from close range. Ken Yates should have equalised for Stortford but his shot hit the cross bar. Overall Storttford had more of the play but went in 1-0 down at half time.

Yates did equalise for Stortford early in the second half, seizing the ball after Brooks shot was charged down, At this stage it seemed that the home side would go on to win the game but their defensive frailties proved to be their undoing. A breakaway saw Peters scoring after Sullivan failed to hold on to Sears shot. Chandler then hit the post as Stortford went in search of a second equaliser but three minutes from time Aylesbury wrapped up the game with another goal from Peters.

In 1973 due to both teams fixture backlogs we played Leatherhead for the second time only a week after our first league meeting of the season when we had come away with a good draw. Ultimately however it showed that we had nothing to play for while Leatherhead were still chasing the runners up spot.

Early on the Tanners had three corners in quick succession but gained nothing from them. A little pressure was relieved as a breakaway saw Paul Scott shoot narrowly wide but Leatherhead soon resumed their dominance. A good move saw Friend’s shot blocked in the penalty area and then Lavers hit a 25 yard shot against the bar. Martin Smith had a chance from a Peter Leakey free kick and Neil Bunker was well placed only to see the ball deflected out of his reach in the penalty area. As the first half ended at 0-0 it seemed that Blues might had ridden out the storm but the visitors had other ideas.

Two minutes into the second half Leatherhead had a little luck as Friend’s shot was deflected off John Still and past Tony Wiseman. Skinner shot against the post as the visitors threatened to run riot and they doubled their lead as a fine shot by Davies dipped just under the bar in the 65th minute. Two minutes later Frewin put the result beyond doubt when he took advantage of a rare mistake by Still and he finished off the scoring in the closing minutes to make a disappointing end to the season by Stortford.

 1973 BSFC 0 Leatherhead 4 – Isthmian League

Wiseman, Davenport, Lawrence, Davidson, Still, Merrifield, Leakey, Bunker, Dear, Smith, Scott Sub Unused: Francis

1947 BSFC 1 Aylesbury United 3 – Spartan League Premier Division

Sullivan, Thurgood, ??????, Johnson, Hubbuck, Chandler, F Brooks, Yates, ??????, Lambert,

T Brooks Scorer: Yates

Author: Dave Ryan