Blast from the past

Categories: Uncategorized

Andrew Cornell looks back on Blues’ games on May 9

Most of the games on this date have been cup games as the season winds to a close. In 1985 we travelled to Thanet United (now Margate) for the second leg of the Eastern Floodlight Competition final, having already won the first le 2-1.

With only 15 minutes gone at Hartsdown Park, Blues put themselves in a very strong position when Terry Norton handled a goal bound shot from Alan Marshall. Pat Staunton coolly scored from the penalty and Blues were 3-1 up on aggregate. Stortford continued to attack but lacked penetration and were unable to add to their lead before half time.

Following the break Thanet found some fight and had one good chance to equalise on the night when Carl Lloyd struck the bar with Martin Taylor beaten. Stortford had the game under control however and with two minutes to go Graham Walsh broke through the centre to score the killer goal and win the cup for Blues – in manager Trevor Harvey’s last game.

There was a vital league game played on this date in 1974 when due to a horrendous fixture backlog we had not finished the season. Having beaten league leaders Wycombe Wanderers two days earlier we were three points behind the leaders with two games in hand when we faced Leytonstone on a Thursday evening. However after an unbeaten run of 32 games in all competitions this was when fatigue caught up with the team. From the start Blues applied the pressure and Tony Bass (twice) and Peter Leakey had good chances. The Leytonestone defence coped well however and ominously in the 25th minute Graham Parker ran straight through the home defence and forced Terry Moore into a save. Twelve minutes later the same player received a cross in a good position and made no mistake to put the visitors 1-0 up at half time.

The second half was very much one way traffic with Tony Mackie kept busy in the Leytonstone goal but Stortford were unable to break through and inevitably in the 80th minute the visitors increased their lead. A bad back pass did not reach Moore and Parker was on hand again to score his second. Almost immediately John Dear scored following a poor clearance but it was not enough and Blues Isthmian title hopes had suffered a fatal blow.

Just for good measure we have also won the Herts Senior Cup (1959) and the Herts Charity Cup (1997) on this date.


1997 BSFC 4 Ware 0 – Herts Charity Cup Final

King, Wardley, Jordan, Fox, Shuttlewood, Thomas, Burns, Walker, Adekola, Cooper, Forbes Subs Riley, Ochiltree, Dean    Scorers: Adekola, Forbes, Dean, Ochiltree


1989 Aveley 2 BSFC 0 – East Anglian Cup Semi-Final

Taylor, Jackman, Ryan, Harrigan, McCayna, Hoddle, Milbourne, Young, English, Hopkins, Cowley Subs: Zacchau, Gayle


1985 Thanet United 0 BSFC 2 – Eastern Floodlight Competition Final 2nd Leg

Taylor, Wickenden, John Simmonds, Staunton, Hull, Hopkins, Avery, Harding, Marshall,

Joe Simmonds, Walsh Subs Not Used: Harper, Cardines Scorers: Staunton, Walsh


1974 BSFC 1 Leytonstone 2 – Isthmian League Division 1

Moore, Gibson, Coombes, Lawrence, Still, Payne, Leakey, Dear, Bass, Smith, Scott

Sub: Webb Scorer: Dear


1972 Walton & Hersham 2 BSFC 0 – Isthmian League

Moore, Sedgely, Lawrence, Smith, Still, Sharkey, Mitchell, Merrifield, Francis, Duggan, Whyte   Sub Unused: King


1964 Barnet 3 BSFC 1 – Herts Charity Cup Final

Cherry, Rolph, Atkinson, Pope, Neeves, Wilson, Taylor, Smith, Gough, Saggers, Garrett

Scorer: Saggers


1963 BSFC 2 Oxford City 2 – East Anglian Cup 3rd Round

Cherry, Yell, Atkinson, Pope, Neeves, Wilson, ??????, McGeechan, Gough, Smith, Francis

Scorers: Yell, Smith


1959 Barnet 0 BSFC 2 – Herts Senior Cup Final (At St Albans)

D Cook, Lloyd, Atkinson, P Cook, Newman, Wilson, Wacey, Yates, Phelan, Horton, Francis

Scorer: Phelan (2)


1942 BSFC 2 Army XI 5 – Friendly

Author: Dave Ryan