Blast from the past

Categories: Uncategorized

Andrew Cornell looks back at Blues’ games on May 8

Not so many games on this date in history but we have won two cups. I doubt whether the East Anglian Cup has ever been treated as a priority by the clubs that enter it but it does have a long history with Stortford playing in it at least as far back as the 1940s. Usually games are played midweek under floodlights but the 1982 final was played on a Saturday at Rhodes Avenue.

Our opponents were King’s Lynn, then of the Northern Premier League. Almost a year after we had won the FA Trophy at Wembley with many of the same players we started off in underwhelming fashion. Whether because of the step down in importance or because players were tired it was not an impressive first half with no goals, mainly thanks to some great saves by Terry Moore, however King’s Lynn took the lead just after half time through Paul Chapman following a mistake by Bill Baldry. Blues were back into the game fairly quickly with a 63rd minute equaliser courtesy of a 25 yard shot from Ian Smith. The game then went into extra time and following two more good saves from Moore, Terry Sullivan found Lyndon Lynch with a great pass and the strike made full use of the opportunity to score the winning goal.

Nine years later Terry Moore was manager of the team that reached the inaugural Isthmian Full Members Cup Final. This competition was for teams in the top two Isthmian Divisions only and we played Division One Champions Chesham United on neutral ground at Hendon FC.

Chesham dominated the first half but Blues defended well and Chesham only had a 37th minute goal from Gary Attrell when he chipped the ball over Martin Taylor. Blues came back into the game in the second half and just before the hour mark Pat Ryan intercepted a terrible back pass and made no mistake to score the equaliser. Straight from the kick off Attrell provided a cross for Dawber to put the Buckinghamshire side back in front. The game was more even now though and ten minutes later a Julian Bedford long throw found Peter Risley who scored the second equaliser with his head. Both teams became more cautious now and with no more goals following extra time the match went to penalties and Blues proved to have the better nerves to take the cup.


1991 BSFC 2 Chesham United 2 – Isthmian League Full Members Cup Final (At Hendon FC)

Taylor, Jackman, Risley, Harrigan, Went, Hopkins, Ryan, Adebowale, Joseph, Bedford, Manderson Subs: Fortune-West Not Used: Boyce Scorers: Risley, Ryan (Won 5-4 on pens)


1982 BSFC 2 King’s Lynn 1 – East Anglian Cup Final

Moore, Baldry, Baldry, Smith, Gunn, Avery, Worrell, Knapman, Lynch, Bailey, Sullivan

Sub: Simmonds Scorers: Smith, Lynch


1976 BSFC 2 Dagenham 0 – Isthmian League Division 1

Kitson, Harris, Davis, Flack, Clarke, Mulkern, Leakey, Watson, MacKenzie, Twigg, Gough

Sub Unused: Brown Scorers: Flack, MacKenzie


1973 BSFC 2 Walton & Hersham 2 – Isthmian League

Wiseman, Davenport, Coombes, Davidson, Smith, Lawrence, Leakey, Bunker, Dear, Merrifield, Scott Sub Unused: Lee Scorers: Davidson, Bunker


1920 BSFC 4 Stansted & District League 1 – Challenge Match

Boxall, Mills, Smith, Newey, Pettit, Chapman, Clarke, Thurgood, Wright, Walker, Brazier

Scorers: ??????

Author: Dave Ryan