Blast from the past

Categories: Uncategorized

Andrew Cornell looks back at Blues’ games on May 5th

We have played a few league games on this date in the past but undoubtedly the biggest game was the 2007 play-off semi-final game away to Salisbury City. We had drawn the first leg at home, so Salisbury had the advantage in the second leg on their own ground but it was definitely all to play for. The prize at stake was a place in the Conference Premier Division.

Max_Porter_26-04-2014_1The home side started better and Andy Young had to react quickly to tip over a volley from Matthew Robinson in the ninth minute. Salisbury continued to press and a quick break caught Blues defence napping with Matthew Tubbs was on hand to sweep his 29th goal of the season past Young and into the corner. The nearly 2000 crowd expected their team to put the game beyond Blues reach, such was their dominance at this stage but Blues showed tenacity and just after the half hour mark they were level. Max Porter (left) played a one-two with Tim Langer on the edge of the box and having made room for himself shot past Clarke and into the roof of the net. The game was becoming more even now and 1-1 at half time was a fair reflection of the game.

pearson_bs_jpg-pwrt2Blues gained in confidence in the second half and just on the hour Craig Edwards found Greg Pearson (right) with a great pass, but the striker’s first touch was too heavy and Clarke had the chance to save at this feet. A few minutes later another great chance went begging as Gareth Gwillim found Roy Essandoh with a cross from the left. Essandoh’s header was blocked but the ball fell to Edwards, who from 7 yards out hit his shot into the ground and saw it go narrowly over the bar. Blues continued to have the best of the game but were unable to create any clearer chances and so the game went to extra time on a warm afternoon.

Rather than tiring though extra time seemed to revitalise the home side and they soon had Tom Champion clearing off the line from Robinson before taking the lead again nine minutes into extra time. Paul Goodacre’s clearance hit Matthews on the shins and the Salisbury player had a fortunate bounce which he took full advantage of to fire past Young. Blues had one last chance, four minutes from time when Pearson found Danny Morgan, however the Stortford sub took too much time and Salisbury cleared the danger. A minute later Salisbury sub Marvin Brown scored their third and took his team to the play-off final against Braintree.

 2007 Salisbury City 3 BSFC 1 – Conference South Play-Off Semi-Final 2nd Leg

Young, Jones, Gwillim, Porter, Goodacre, Edwards, Essandoh, Champion, Pearson, Midson, Langer Sub: Stanbrook, Mason, Morgan Unused: Turner, Wright Scorer: Porter

2001 BSFC 4 Ford United 0 – Isthmian League Division 1

Desborough, Risley, Kimble. Taylor, Fannon, Kyriacou, Hayes, Southam, John, Endersby, Braham Subs: Paul, Hercules Not Used: Suckiling Scorers: Southam, John (3)

1990 Windsor & Eton 0 BSFC 2 – Isthmian League Premier Division

Taylor, Jackman, Risley, Hopkins, Harrigan, Went, Bedford, Ryan, Young, Gayle, Manderson

Sub: Spence, Keune Scorers: ????

1970 Southall 1 BSFC 0 – Athenian League Premier Division

Cherry, Mitchell, King, Pettipher, Neeves, Hill, Whyte, Allaway, Devaux, Duggan, Slater

Sub: ???? Scorers: ????


1956 Hemel Hempstead Town 2 BSFC 5 – Delphian League

Fox, Duncan, Hardy, Lloyd, Carter, Hanley, Clark, Yates, Hussey, Horton, Burridge

Scorers: Clark, Hussey (2), Horton, Burridge

1928 BSFC 2 Sawbridgeworth Town 0 – Saffron Walden & District League

Scorers: Patmore, Wright

Author: Dave Ryan