Blast from the past

Categories: Uncategorized

Andrew Cornell looks back on Blues games on January 12th


We have played two FA Trophy games on this day in the past against higher league opposition. In 1985 in the first Round we faced Bath City, who were at the time members of what is now the National League and were riding high in 3rd place. A great performance by Blues at Twerton Park earned them a 0-0 draw. The weather then intervened and the replay at Rhodes Avenue was not played for almost two weeks. The result was a 2-2 draw in which Bath were 2-0 up with nine minutes to go, and with no penalties in those days Stortford won the toss and the 2nd replay was also at Rhodes Avenue. This time Bath made their strength count and gained a 2-1 victory to take them into the second round.

More recently in 2008 we were drawn at home to the former Football League side Halifax Town in the second round of the Trophy. It was a cracking cup tie, with both sides intent on playing attacking football. the surface, despite the recent heavy rain, held up superbly well.


The visitors were quick off the blocks with Lewis Kileen’s lob beating Joe Welch, but thankfully the top corner of the goal too by a matter of centimetres. Blues’ response came via Loui Fazakerley’s well-struck volley on 5 minutes. Legzdins, in the Town goal, acrobatically touched the shot over for Blues’ first corner. It was a lively and exciting opening 10 minutes that set the pattern for most of the remainder of the game.


Fazakerley, most observers’ man of the match, saw a second chance miss the target. The wide man cleverly controlled a ball with his back to goal and hit a strike on the turn that only just missed the target with Legzdins beaten. The game then entered something of a lull for ten minutes, broken by the best chance of the half. Deen played an inch-perfect pass to Pearson. The prolific striker took the ball into the box and rounded the keeper only to shoot into the side netting from a tight angle. Town’s best chance of the half was thwarted by the save of the game. Welch keeping out Nelthorpe’s header with a brilliant one-handed save.


The goals that the first half had promised but not delivered came in a 25 minute second half blitz.

The breakthrough came on the hour mark. Midson was fouled just outside the penalty box to present Deen with a free kick. The midfielder struck the ball into the danger area and, with defenders and attackers seemingly standing watching the ball, it bounced into the net to give blues a lead.


Halifax took five minutes to level for the first time. Heslop’s shot was blocked by Midson. but the ball squirmed into Shaw’s path who blasted in from close range. Within a further 6 minutes Blues were back in the lead. Fazakerley’s brilliantly-placed cross from right to left found an unmarked Roy Essandoh who had the simplest of headers for Blues’ second.


Pearson came close to putting the tie beyond doubt on 74 minutes but Quinn’s last gasp lunge diverted the ball away from the goal and away from danger. Tom Champion also came close to wrapping up the tie. his looping shot dipped slightly too late and evaded the goal narrowly

but Blues paid the price for sloppy play with just 8 minutes remaining. Nelthorpe was given too much space on the edge of the box. his shot was saved, but in the melee that followed, Kearney seemed to get the last touch to force the ball over the line.


Again the weather caused a long delay before the replay at the end of the month when Halifax won comfortably at the Shay. At the end of that season Halifax Town went out of existence to be replaced by FC Halifax Town who we have since played in Conference North


2013 Vauxhall Motors 2 BSFC 2 – Conference North

Chambers, Burns, Herd, Prestedge, Bailey-Dennis, Francis, Johnson, Thalassitis, Sturrock, Spence, Baker Subs: Melaugh, Abdullahi Not Used: Cawley, Sappleton, Waller-Lassen Scorers: Francis, Johnson


2008 BSFC 2 Halifax Town 2 – FA Trophy 2nd Round

Welch, Jones, Taylor, Edwards, Champion, Stanbrook, Fazackerley, Essandoh, Pearson, Midson, Deen Subs: Mason Not Used: Lunan, Langer, Gaisie, Young Scorers: Essandoh, Deen


2002 BSFC 3 Barking & East Ham United 1 – Isthmian League Division 1

Desborough, Hannigan, Riches, Bowen, Allison, Taylor, Double, Hyatt, John, Paul, Braham Subs: Hercules, Beale Not Used: Hayes Scorers: John (2), og


1993 Hemel Hempstead Town 0 BSFC 1 – Herts Senior Cup 2nd Round

King, Jordan, Claridge, Edmonds, Hopkins, Harrigan, Das, White, Walker, Burns, Ingielewicz Subs Unused: Petrou, Dance Scorer: Ingielewicz


1988 Stotfold 1 BSFC 4 – East Anglian Cup 3rd Round

Taylor, Hopkins, Fleming, Hull, McCayna, Smith, Patmore, Saggers, Munger, Barker, Wood Sub: Zacchau Scorers: Saggers, Munger, Zacchau, Wood


1985 Bath City 0 BSFC 0 – FA Trophy 1st Round

Welsh, Wickenden, Brown, Baker, Hull, Hopkins, Avery, Simmonds, Robb, Harris, Smith

Sub Unused: Cardines


1980 BSFC 0 Feltham 3 – Friendly


1971 BSFC 3 Croydon Amateurs 0 – Athenian League Cup 3rd Round

Cherry, Lawrence, Mitchell, Argent, Neeves, Sharkey, Whyte, Ferguson, Devaux, Chappell, Clarey Sub: Ryan Scorers: Whyte, Devaux (2)


1957 BSFC 3 Letchworth Town 2 – Delphian League

Kearsley, Duncan, Atkinson, Lloyd, Carter, Price, Adamson Yates, Horton, Hussey, Francis

Scorers: Yates, Horton, Francis


1952 BSFC 3 Aylesbury United 1 – Delphian League

Fraser, Dady, Wilkins, Lambert, Hubbuck, Woodard, Whittaker Yates, Atkinson, Harvey, Giles

Scorers: Atkinson, Giles (2)


1946 Welwyn Garden City 9 BSFC 1 – Herts Senior Cup 1st Round

Wood, Connolly, Cunningham, Shotter, Search, Parsons, Skerritt, Dedman, Pier, Lesley, Wright

Scorer: Wright

Author: Dave Ryan